Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1

I have had the A350 for about a week now and still are having problems getting a decent photo, The pictures seem to blur. I went from theSony kit lens 18-75that it was packaged with to a Sony 18-200. I am new tothe DSLR worldandhad been using a Sony 717point and shootand so my settings have been in Auto. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
timbo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator

What kind of blur? It's probably motion blur or blur from camera shake because your shutter speeds are too slow for the lighting if you're not using a flash.

Both of those lenses are very dim (down to f/5.6 if you zoom in much). To put things in perspective, the lens on your F717 starts out at f/2 (about 3 times as bright as those lenses are on their wide ends), and still has f/2.4 available on it's long end (about 6 times as bright as the 18-70mm or 18-200mm lenses you have by the time you zoom in much with them).

If indoors, you'll need a flash with those lenses for moving subjects. You could try bumping up the ISO speed (each time you double it, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast). But, even at ISO 1600, you'd still have slower shutter speeds at f/5.6 with one of those lenses, compared to using your F717 at ISO 400 and f/2.4

If you're shooting in other conditions (not indoors without a flash), I'd post an example that includes camera settings in the EXIF. You'll need to downsize it to around 640 pixels wide for posting here.

I'd suggest using something like the free Irfanview

After you open an image using File>Open, go to Image>Resize/Resample. Leave the box checked to retain the original aspect ratio (dimensions of width to height), and make the longest side abvout 640 pixels.

That will be fine for checking settings. Then, Save it to a new filename (so you don't overwrite your original) using File>Save As (picking a folder that you want to keep it in).

Set the jpeg quality to around 80% and leave the boxes checked to retain EXIF (you'll see a box pop up with a jpeg quality slider when you use the Save As choice and select jpeg as the file type).

As long as it's not too large (dimensions or file size), then you can attach a photo using the browse button you'll see at the bottom of your entry screen when typing a new post.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the help I will take your advice. One of the other problems I seem to havewhen taking pictures of flowers the color blurs leaving out the detail
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4

Post the pictures at one of the following sites:

http://www.flickr.com/

Or

http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/ (keep clicking the pic until you see 'download this picture link. Then rightclick that hyperlink, copythat linkand use that link in this forum reply, There is a button called 'insert picture'. Paste the link into here. then it will show the picture inside a forum thread)

With pictures it's more clear...
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:11 PM   #5

I feel kind of like an idiot and the novice isshowing up but I figured out the problem. Iwent to thestore were I had purchased the camera and took my memory card (SanDisk ExtremeIII 2GB) with me, We put it into one of there computersand ended up with the same blurry pictures. Fortunately a guy from the Geek Squad was listening to our conversation and figured out the problem. He said he has heard of this problem before and the remedy was to increase the screen resolution on my computer (Monitor). We did that and the pics came out clear. I went home and increased the resolution to 1680-1050 and went from 16 bit to 32 bit color quality. The pictures turned out beautifully. I wonder if this is the problem others are having and are blaming the issue on the camera? Thanks again to all for the help.