Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:58 PM   #1

Just out of curiousity I shot some photo's in cRAW+J. When I tried to open them in PE4 nothing happened.

After reading what I could find from searching the net It sounds like Adobe's ACR 4.3is not producing very good results, unless they've fixed the high ISO noise problem I was reading about. And I don't think version 4.3 will work on PE4 anyway. From what I can tell it looks like version 3.7might be the one I need.

I don't know what to do to open these files other than download the software that came with the camera. IsSony's software OK? I've been happyusing Elements 4.

I've been shooting jpeg only. It seems that there's noticeable noise even at ISO 400 when using X fine. The noise seems to be more noticeable on the LCD & PC then in the prints.

Am I going to notice any improvments shooting raw?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2008, 8:07 PM   #2

Adobe says that the current version of Camera Raw (4.4.1) will work with PhotoshopElements 4.0. (See http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3896)

And RAW gives you the uncompressed version of what the image sensor saw, so you have more to work with when you do your post processing, so your images are likely to be slightly sharper than they might if they'd gone through JPEG Compression (even at the 'Extra Fine' setting.) So if you'll be doing a lot of post processing, or a lot of cropping, you might be happier with the results you get from RAW.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 1:27 PM   #3
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Adobe says that the current version of Camera Raw (4.4.1) will work with PhotoshopElements 4.0. (See http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3896 )
That's not right. See the Camera Raw 4.4.1 ReadMe .pdf file.

Quote:
The Camera Raw 4.4 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows and Photoshop Elements 4.01 for Mac.

The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 3.0 customers is Camera Raw 3.6. The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 4.0 (Windows) is Camera Raw 3.7.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:26 PM   #4

Right. Sorry.

Here's the download page for Camera Raw 3.7 [http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3587 ]

The ReadMe says that it will work with PSE4, but, unfortunately, it won't work with the Sony A700.

You could just download the trial version of PSE6, install the current Camera Raw plug-in, and play with it to see if you want to keep it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:54 PM   #5

Thanks for your opinions TCav & JimC. The more I look into it, the more Bibble Pro looks to be a good choice.

The new version soon to be released (Bibble 5) is supposed to be easier to use.

Not to bad of a price either.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote