Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:48 PM   #1

I was given a Sony Alpha 200 with the 18-70 standard zoom lens. I have 2 older Tamron Adaptall II SP lenses, one 70-210 and the 500 mirror. These were used on a Contax 137, long in the trash. Obviously there is no aperture control on the 500; there is on the 70-210. Will these lenses work, with the standard Adaptall II adapter, on the Sony? With the 70-210, will the Sony set the aperture allowing wide-open focus as was typical before autofocus? I have 1 major concern, not damaging the camera. I have a minor concern, buying an Adaptall II mount that may be useless.

In effect, I think this question could be phrased "could a Minolta SRT101 lens be used on the Sony and focus wide open?"

Thanks!

George
GBynum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:59 PM   #2
Administrator

GBynum wrote:
Quote:
In effect, I think this question could be phrased "could a Minolta SRT101 lens be used on the Sony and focus wide open?"
No... That's a totally different lens mount if you're talking about lenses like the SRT-101 would use.

Minolta abandoned the MC/MD mount 23 years ago in 1985 with the launch of the Maxxum 7000, and a new line of Autofocus Lenses using a new Minolta Autofocus Lens mount (a.k.a., Minolta A, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount).

Quote:
However, a relatively low profile Minolta rocked the entire photographic community in January 1985 with a new breed of AF camera which has a revolutionary concept that made it differed from other "mainstream industrial design" adopted by other makers. "New" because there were two major factors of which one of them has a great impact to the existing Minolta users - the Company decided to drop support for the older MC/MD mount and replaced with an fully electronic lens mount with no backward compatibility.

But a more important element is, the Maxxum 7000 AF SLR camera was the first true system AF SLR with an body integrated AF design with a host of new AF lenses built around the camera.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

You can find adapters that let you mount older MC/MD mount lenses. You'd need to set the aperture on the lens to the desired setting, and change a camera setting to let the camera fire without a lens attached (it won't know it's there, since there won't be any communication via the electronic lens mount contacts). But, you can get them to work that way (the camera won't know what aperture you've got it set to, but the meter will still work). Just use Aperture Prority mode (setting the aperture on the lens itself), and let the camera pick the right shutter speed for the amount of light it's seeing.

You may find this thread over at Dyxum to be of use. For example, this "sticky" type thread has information on some of the MC/MD to Maxxum adapters available (scroll down past the teleconverters section and you'll see a section on adapters for Manual Focus lenses):

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2100

One issue with some adapters is the ability to focus to infinity. So, you'll find optical elements in some, with varying degrees of magnification (1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x, etc.) to try and allow focus to infinity.

Minolta's MC/MD lens to Maxxum body adapter was a 2x (equivalent to using a 2x Teleconverter). But, most third party adapters don't use that much magnification.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:05 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the A200!

BTW, I've noticed that gadgetinfinity.com (a reputable Hong Kong based vendor) has an MC/MD lens to Minolta AF mount adapter for sale. But, I don't know how good the quality is. I've thought about getting one from time to time, since my brother-in-law has an SRT-101 with a nice collection of lenses with it (that I could probably borrow from him, since he rarely uses it). But, I've already bought most of what I need in newer Minolta AF mount lenses.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...270&page=5

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to relearning what I used to know about photography; my early experience was more the technical side of things, 4x5, f64, ASA8 sheet file, painting with light for 30-60 seconds. I also did litho stuff, and we had a copy camera with 1:4 to 4:1 range to handle 16x20 litho film.

Regretfully, I take pictures, not make pictures ... but want better control than the point-n-shoot modern units. My first wife used the Contax; I did B&W in the darkroom. We're talking 1980 or so here ...

I've browsed your overall site for a few years, using it for reference to help others. Time to slurp up some more knowledge.
GBynum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:31 PM   #5

As I found out the hard way (and digging though the manual) you can use manual lenses on the a300, but you have to set the camera to the M mode and set the shutter speed using the camera dial, and the fstop on the lens. IF you first put the camera into A mode the camera will meter the scene and display what shutter speed it would use. As you change the Fstop on the lens, the camera updates the shutter reading.
You THEN switch to M mode and set the shutter speed. The camera won't fire the shutter (it says "no lens mounted") unless you put it into M mode.

I was using an old Spiratone 400mm F6.3 "T" mount lens on a Minolta Maxxum T thread adapter. These T thread adapters are also used to mount your camera on telescopes.
kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote