Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:38 PM   #1

Can't find any A700's except for CC. Finally found a CC store that had a workable display model. WOW. Okay, so I admit I must have had a bout of temporary insanity to even consider dumping my system for Nikon. What the bleep was I thinking?? I just miss my 5D so much I must be getting desperate.

I read about all these sub $1k deals from BB. Of course I wasn't in the market then, and not a single BB in my market has an A700 in stock. CC is the only store that has it and it's $1399. What gives? Even the online prices aren't any better.

I'm going through withdrawal and need a fix. Help.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:48 PM   #2
Administrator

This is the best price I've seen lately ($1175 from dbuys.com). They've got a "mixed" reputation (some bad, some good). Most of the reports I've seen from posters buying Sony dSLR models from them have been postiive though.

http://www.dbuys.com/product/?47723&...rt_id=25762310

Berger Brothers has them for $1299 (go to http://www.berger-bros.com and search for the A700).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:14 PM   #3
Administrator

http://www.ritzcamera.com (a.k.a., wolfcamera.com) also has them for $1299 (body only price).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:07 PM   #4

i found the best online deal i could find, called ritz camera.com and they matched the price that i found. just be prepared with the website and model #. hope this helps.
ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5

thanks for the links. That's actually a good suggestion to ask Ritz to match a lower price. I hadn't thought of that. I went to my local Ritz and they only had the a200 and a350. The salesgirl didn't know if they were going to get the a700 or not (she was Nikonese, of course). But she did say that their main store in Charlotte probably does have it. I wonder if they'll do the same matching? The most surprising thing to me is how different locations of the same stores, (CC BB Ritz...) don't necessarily have the same inventory?!?

I do appreciate your input and all the positive feedback from a700 users. Once I really got a chance to dig into it at CC I was sold. Maybe because I already had the KM5D and there's quit a bit of carry over in the layout and interface, but the controls are so intuitive. I handled the D300 some and it just didn't work for me. The Canon D40 is fast as h**l but I don't shoot sports. The a700's 5 fps is plenty impressive. Plus, the A/S control dial is exactly where it's supposed to be, under the shutter release at the tip of my index finger. Surprised me that the other manufactures put it in the wrong place. Canon's is on the very top...feels wrong and its hard to find while looking thru the viewfinder. I realize that's a little thing, but I guess that's one of the reasons the Sony just feels right in my hands.

I know Sony has done a lot since the buy-out and I give them credit for some of the innovative features their coming up with, but you gotta hand it to the Minolta team...they had so much right from the beginning.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 2:34 AM   #6

afaik, ritz price matches competitors if they have it in stock, and they have a store relatively near by.

when i bought my 5d, i walked out of their store with a NIB 5d for the cc open box price. hmmm.... wonder if they'll match bb's open box a700 price
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:09 AM   #7

ritz.com will match other reputable websites if you call cust service and place order that way. got my a700 for $1271, then it didnt arrive on time and got another $150 when called and complained. that was back in feb. ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:20 AM   #8

Abe's of Maine has body only for $1129.95 and kit with SAL 18-70mm for $1162.95.

They advertise Free Ground Shipping.

I have never bought from them, their reviews are also mixed.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2008, 8:08 PM   #9

Nebraska Furniture Mart in Wyandotte Ks, Had the A700 for 1,299.99.
TimD57 is offline   Reply With Quote