Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 15, 2008, 5:06 PM   #1

i have a sony alpha 200 with a kit lense 18-70.

recently bought a minolta 50mm lense which i have to say is allot sharper than the kit lense .but only draw back it doesnt zoom.

is there other minolta lenses out there that will be as sharp as the 50mm but will zoom like the kit lense or there abouts.

i also have a sigma 70-300mm apo

any suggestions will be appreciated

thank you

Martin
linearamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2008, 5:27 PM   #2

i dont know of any that zoom and go as low as f1.7 but you can look at the sigma or tamron 24-70 f2.8 lenses about $250-$350 used on ebay. If you have a few more bucks to spend the minolta 28-70 f2.8 is great. i loved mine right up until it fell out of the airplane. hope this helps, ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 6:37 PM   #3
Administrator

Let members know what type of subjects (moving people, landscapes, etc.) and it what conditions (indoors without a flash, indoors with a flash, outdoors in good light, etc.) and you'll get better responses to your questions.

No one lens is going to be perfect for all subjects in all conditions. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:24 PM   #4

linearamp wrote:
Quote:
is there other minolta lenses out there that will be as sharp as the 50mm but will zoom like the kit lense or there abouts.
Yes. Take a look at the Sony 24-70mm f2.8 Zoomor the 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom.

Keep in mind that only a very few zoom lenses are faster than f/2.8, and no one makes one faster than f/2.5, so no zoom lens will ever be as fast as your 50mm, but if you're willing to compromise on maximum aperture, the two I mentioned should meet your requirements.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2008, 9:23 PM   #5

Prime lenses like the 28,35,50,85,100,135 will make you a better photographer. All of these lenses will always be the sharpest of all lenses and teach you how to ZOOM ON YOUR FEET! Personally, I believe primes teach us composition, which is extremely important in photography. No doubt zooms are handy when you just can't get close enough, but we have much to gain from primes.
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote