Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:08 PM   #1

My Sister's Wedding is soon and i want a good lens for taking great picture during the wedding which will be indoor (at night). the kit lens takes great pictures outdoor but not indoor.

hopefully i would find an affordable lens for indoor and events.

any suggestion would be appreciated.

thanx in advance.
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2

I'm an available light photographer. I use a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and am very happy with it.

Others, no doubt, will recommend using a flash to go with the kit lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:23 AM   #3

The answer is going to depend on the particular venue for the wedding. Flash is usually frowned upon during ceremonies, so that is out. The question then becomes whether 2.8 will get you acceptable shutter speeds.

Do you have access to the venue ahead of time at night? If so, go and take a snap with your current setup using aperture priority and lens set to widest aperture and ISO at it's highest setting.

The results of that photo will help determine what shutter speed you can get with a 2.8 lens.

realize though - this solution is really only good for ceremony shots. It is certainly not ideal for posed shots or group shots because DOF will be too shallow and ISO too high.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4
Administrator

First suggestion....

Urge your sister to hire a professional photographer that has a good reputation. Don't volunteer to take the photos yourself. Unless you've got lots of experience with people photography in general so that you can capture the moments properly (from a timing, composition and exposure perspective), and work with people for posing and more, you don't want to have her rely on your images for something as important as a wedding.

Shooting in existing light is going to make it even tougher during the ceremony and equipment alone is not going to make for great results. You need experience, where you've learned from your mistakes and know what to do in a wider variety of conditions for best results. There is too much that can go wrong (and not just from a settings/composition perspective, as you can also have equipment failures).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:37 PM   #5

My sister is hiring a professional photographer for the wedding..but i wanted to take pictures of posing people (Especially the couple---they give me permission to take some pictures for me "she is my little sister" and they would take a look at them "my guess!!!!")
i won't take many pictures of the guest (the PRO will).
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:53 PM   #6
Administrator

Super.. I just wanted to make sure.

Your best investment is probably going to be an external flash versus a new lens, if you're looking to take mostly posed shots, or shots other than during the ceremony.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:01 PM   #7

To follow up on what Jim said. Shots DURING the ceremony and posed shots BEFORE or AFTER the ceremony are very different things.

For shots DURING you should not use flash. For those shots, a wide aperture lens is appropriate.

For posed shots, a wide aperture lens is less desirable. You'll want more DOF AND you'll want less noise. So for those shots you'll want an external flash.

So you need to decide which types of shots are more important to you. Shots DURING the ceremony are really very boring for the most part unless you have the ability to move around. The pro can. As a guest, you should not. So the angle may not be good from where you're located. My personal advice is you'll get much more interesting shots posed before or after. And you'll get much BETTER shots by using a good external flash than you would using a wide aperture lens. There's a reason pros use a flash for these shots. You get the DOF you need, you get the lighting you need, you get catch light in the eyes, you get sharper images (lens stopped down vs. wide open) and you can use lower ISO so you get less noise.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:54 AM   #8

Thanx guys i'll look for an external flash. (mostly i'll take picture of the couple and friends so they don't mind the flash).

Thanx again
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:49 PM   #9

The marriage might already been, but never the less.

How to use flash: 2 major ways:

1) direct and use a white plastic cap or anyother commercial..or self made thing to soften en make your flash bounce light to other angles. Thus making shadows softer.

2) in-direct: aim the flash in an angle up towards the ceiling or walls to your left or right. With this method your subject(s) and everything around it will be lit evenly. And you get natural looking soft shadows...as if light comes from above. Do set your flash at the right power setting...

Quick flash course ..for more info check online or buy a book ..or..ask in steves's

Lens? depends on what you want to spend....personally

I would think about 12-24mm , 24-70 2.8. and a flash device that has bounce up ..left or right option...
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:34 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I'm an available light photographer. I use a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and am very happy with it.

Others, no doubt, will recommend using a flash to go with the kit lens.
Thanx TCav i bought that lens along the Tamron 18-250 for multi-use lens and both are great from my point of view..... I'm waiting to use the 17-50 f/2.8 in Munich, Germany at Night because i tried it indoor and it's really great and affordable (a bit heavy "but it helped keeping my hand steady:roll:")

thanx again to all of you guys and this great community.