Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:39 PM   #1

Has anyone here used this Sony lens. I have seen a couple of reviews that look pretty favorable but real people use sometimes is more useful.

I am thinking of it as a all around lens due to its focal range, weight, and what I have read so far.

Would love to hear from a user.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:15 AM   #2

I actually use it as my main lens and I'm very satisfied. I'm not the change-my-lens-for-every-other-shot type, so this 18-250 sticks on my camera all the time (sony A 700). Pictures are clear and bright and I'm very content with the results. I've used it for all kinds of shots varying from indoor portraits to landscape-wide angle and close-up. I'd recommend it ! I'll try to post some shots taken with it later.
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:52 AM   #3

tsjiaotai wrote:
Quote:
I actually use it as my main lens and I'm very satisfied. I'm not the change-my-lens-for-every-other-shot type, so this 18-250 sticks on my camera all the time (sony A 700). Pictures are clear and bright and I'm very content with the results. I've used it for all kinds of shots varying from indoor portraits to landscape-wide angle and close-up. I'd recommend it ! I'll try to post some shots taken with it later.
Thanks for the response. Your experience is pretty much in line with what I have been reading. My only concearn is for it's potential for indoor volleyball. I think that if I really want to get to some good shots in this venue, I will need a 2.8 lens and price deems that as beyond my needs.
I have ordered the 18-250 and look forward to it's arrival.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4

From what I've read, the Sony 18-250 is a big improvement over the KM 18-200 I had, but it still isn't as good as multiple lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges. And my 18-200 was pretty useless indoors. The few times I actually tried the built-in flash to brighten things up, the lens was so big it blocked the flash on the bottom of the frame.

And for indoor sports, I think you'll find it's too dim.

Good luck with it, though.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote