Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:47 PM   #21
Administrator

From what I've seen from various testing (and personal experience with my A700), the newer Sony models are very hard to beat for highlight range. Some models can test a bit better for the shadows (assuming a properly exposed mid gray). But, the Sony models are very good at preserving more highlight detail given proper exposure of the mid tones (and the highlight detail is more important to me, since I really don't like burnt out skin tones, etc.) with the DRO able to boost shadows if you want them brighter.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:39 PM   #22

Absolutely. I much prefer Sony's approach to extending DR by preserving the highlights rather than shadows. I would not have given up on my Oly system if it wasn't for the E510 very limited DR.

A couple more shots showing the A300 DR
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:41 PM   #23

Notice the details on Gnome's white beard as well as the leaves in very dark areas under the hydrangeas
Attached Images

Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:21 PM   #24

I don't know about the technicalities but what brilliant pictures.

Thanks for sharing

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:14 PM   #25

Thanks, Fred. Here's another one from my backyard...
Attached Images

Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:05 PM   #26

I assume all these photos were taken with the 17-70 kit lens.
If so they speak well of the quality available in this lens.
Can you go back and edit the image posts to show what settings each
photo was shot at (iso, fstop, exposure)?

I have had my A300 for just over a week (hope we have a nice weekend
finally to try some outdoor photos) and I'm still figuring out all the settings.
I'm not sure just what will work best yet, so many automated settings
plus Program, Ap, Sp, and M. One nice surprise was trying out an old
Spiratone 400mm F6.3 manual lens (with the required T adapter). I had to use
manual mode, but found that the in body IS works wonders, I could hand hold the lens at 1/40 sec and STILL get a stable shot!

kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:33 AM   #27

Thanks for the info Tullio. Your second shot of the flower with water droplets looks great. I too have gone witha Sony Alpha and still discoveringwhat different settings will produce. (I stepped up from the Olympus c8080, a camera thatcould produce very clear/sharp images with terrific colour reproduction but the focussing could be a real pain either spot on or no-wherenear the mark.)
I mainly want to achieve what my eye sees as in colour reproduction etc. not quite there yet though. Keep the posts coming with examples. thanks.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:39 PM   #28

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, all pictures posted in this topic were taken with the Sony 18-70mm kit lens. I'm not very impressed with this lens but it could be worse. If you download the image, you'll be able to see the EXIF data (very seldom I edit a photo in a way that the EXIF data gets removed). Some images I used SPOT metering, which I believe the A300 handles better than most cameras I've had. These were some of the very first pictures I took with the A300. Since then, I found that DRO does more harm than good. It over exposes quite a bit and I could never understand the metering process. It was a constant hit and miss. So, I turned DRO off and now I can very accurately predict how much to increase/decrease Ev in order to obtain a well balanced exposure. All DRO is doing is recovering shadows at the expense of the highlights. Since shadows can be easily recovered in PP, I suggest you turn DRO off. For other images taken with the A300, see myother posts (A300 Tamron 28-105mm, A300 + Minolta 100-300mm and A300 + Tamron 28-300mm).