Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:26 PM   #1

I have come to the conclusion that a polarizing filter is something I need. I traveled near Yellowstone this past week and had plenty of great shots. However, a polarizer would have helped tremedously to produce some of the images with more striking colors.

I have an a300 (great camera by the way). The filter. Do I purchase the one made by Sony or do I look at another brand? Tiffen, etc.

Advice would be appreciated!
spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 3:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Use a circular polarizer for best AF compatibility.

B+W filters are very good (they use higher quality Schott Glass with very good coatings) and their slim line filters are better than most to help prevent any unwanted vignetting (darkening of corners that can sometimes occur when using a filter with a lens at wider focal lengths and apertures). Here's one example (but, make sure to get the correct size for the lens you're using if you go that route).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Polarizer.html

From what I can see from their specs, the newer Sony filters use Carl Zeiss T* coatings (which are very good). But, I don't know how they'd compare to B+W for overall quality.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3

spudman wrote:
Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that a polarizing filter is something I need.

I have an a300 (great camera by the way). The filter. Do I purchase the one made by Sony or do I look at another brand? Tiffen, etc.
Well, if you say you need it, then you do. I recently bought the A300 and I find it to produce very saturated images (so much so that I decreased saturation by -1). When it comes to using a pol filter on the A300, I think it may limit your ability to shoot at low ISO. The reason I say that is because I find the A300 under exposes by as much as Ev -1.0 (in other words, I have to increase Ev to +1 in some situations in order to obtain a well exposed image). Pol filters will cut the light further (by as much as 2 Ev depending on the filter). So, unless you are shooting under extreme bright conditions, you may not be able to use f8 and above w/o increasing the ISO. As for brands, I never liked Tiffen, They are cheaper than most other brands but not good (IMO). B&W are great filters but over priced (again, IMO). I think that Hoya performs well and if you go to eBay, you may find some old brands that are good but not as popular (i.e. Colin, Helliopan, etc.). A couple of years ago I spent a weekend shooting with my K100 and various UV and Pol filters and then I compared the results (purely visual). I found thatthelinear polarizer did not affect focusing, itproduced just as good image and was as efficient reducing glare and increasing color saturation asthe CP one. So, whenever I buy a newlens for whichI don't have a pol filter, I save myself some money and buy a linear pol. They are much cheaper and work well.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote