Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Sony A200 with kit lenses 18-70mm and 75-300mm.

Using the camera on holiday, I am absolutely contented with the 18-70 but find the 75-300 far too heavy and bulky to carry around whilst often needing the extra zoom.

Has anyone opinions on whether to cut my losses and buy the Tamron 18-250mm (or 18-200mm)........I do wish I had bought the body only plus the Tamronbut couldn't see it advertised.

Fred

Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:10 AM   #2

When I first bought my KM5D, I also bought the KM 18-200 (a rebranded Tamron, and the equivalent of the current Sony) thinking it would do for what I wanted, and initially, I was pleased. Then I started looking critically at my photos, and wasn't so pleased.

The 18-200 has significant geometric distortion at the wide end, significant chromatic aberration at the long end, and is soft through out its zoom range. I have since replaced it with multiple lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges, and am glad I did.

The Tamron 18-250 is apparently a much improved superzoom lens, arguably the best of its kind, but it still suffers from the same problems, albeit to a lesser degree.

If you do decide to go the superzoom route, the Sony 18-250 is a rebranded Tamron, but with improved autofocus gearing for Sony dSLRs, so that's probably a better choice.

But I would recommend that you not.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:13 PM   #3

Excellent TCav particularly the last paragraph. You have saved me a lot of money

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote