Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:32 AM   #1

I recently bought my 1st dSLR - Sony A200 and now I am after accessories, i.e filter lens,etc.

What basic accessories do I need: filter lens to prevent scratching the lens? Any suggestions which kind?

I would also need something to clean the lens and the camera? What basic accessories would I need?

Thanks!!
vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2

a skylight 1a filter is my recommendation for protecting the lens.

may also want to look into a polarizer filter as well for outdoor in bright light and to reduce reflections.

i go to ritz camera and get lens tissue, they have lens cleaning solution for two or three bucks that works pretty well (for lens only) and i get the cleaning cloth there as well for four or five dollars. as far as sensor cleaning goes i still have it professionally done, cost about $30 and i do it once or twice a year.

hope this helps, ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:38 PM   #3

A Skylight (UV, Haze, etc.) filter is not a bad idea. There are those whose position is that replacing a damaged skylight filter is cheaper than replacing a damaged lens, and there are those whose position is that adding an optical element (especially a cheap filter)to an already complex optical system will degrade image quality. Using filters to protect your lenses is up to you.

I am not a big fan of paper products for cleaning lenses. Paper has sharp edges which might damage the lens, though this is unlikely. But something that happened to me was that I got a paper cut from lens cleaning paper and ended up getting blood on two lenses, making a small job a lot bigger.

When my lensesreally need cleaning, I use Q-Tips and distilled water. Sometimes I'll add a little ethyl alcohol if there's stubborn dirt on a lens. (EverClear is 95% pure, 190 proof grain alcohol, and is available in most liquor stores. It is used, for instance,inDIY recipes for Kahlua.) For occasional lens cleaning, and for my glasses, I use a microfiber cloth or lens pen.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:15 AM   #4

Thank you guys.

vic4878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:18 AM   #5

Something else you might consider is a spare battery and maybe even a spare charger.

I have three batteries and two chargers for my KM5D. I always have a battery in the camera, and a battery in each charger.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote