Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:25 AM   #21

I see. I bought the Sony 75-30mm when I purchased the A300 but haven't opened the box yet. I read many comments about it being bulky and heavy so I was thinking about getting something with the same lon range but a little more compact. Any recommendation?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 6:32 PM   #22

Tullio,

I bought this lens and am quite pleased, thanks for the pointer to Amazon! One additional feature over the kit lens is the non-rotating front glass. Too bad it is overcast today, not much light for taking pics... :sad:
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:08 AM   #23

Glad you like it, djand. Looking forward to seeing some images when the weather permits!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:46 PM   #24

I said what they hey, and ordered the last one that Amazon had, and I got free shipping as well. I figured for $39 if it doesnt work, I can always use it for a paperweight.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:54 PM   #25

That was my initial thought, 2many. Then, I checked eBay and thought... I can actually make some money off it!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:10 PM   #26

Mine came in today, I took a few quick shots with it, and I am amazed at the clarity and the color. Best $40 I have spent in a long time.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 4:18 PM   #27

Congrats, 2many! I'm glad it is not just me finding this lens to be good despite its very low cost!

I just checked Amazon and it looks like they still have the lens (4 left in stock according to the site).

Here it is...

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-Autofoc...678&sr=8-1
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:46 AM   #28
Administrator

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
I just checked Amazon and it looks like they still have the lens (4 left in stock according to the site).
Only 3 left now. What the heck... I just ordered one, too. For $39.99, how bad can it be? :-)

That starts out wider than my Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 (which is a very nice lens), and I wouldn't need the wider f/2.8 aperture in good light (I could use the cheaper lens stopped down from wide open a bit for sharper images), without the size/weight of my 35-105mm.

I'll let you know what I think after I get it. 3 more left for now:

Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 IF Autofocus Lens in Minolta AF Mount for $39.99

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:24 PM   #29

Good deal! My thoughts exactly...for $40? What the heck! I'm very interested in you opinion about this lens, Jim.The 35-105mm you have is obviously faster but it'sa nice thing to have the extra 10mm on the wide side. Unlike theMinolta 100-300mm, which is a poor performer @ 300mm wide open, the Tamron produces real good [email protected] 105mm wide open, so you don't need to step down the lense at all (unless you are trying to control DoF). I also noticed that the A300 exposes better with the Tamron (I don't need to increase Ev by 0.7 or even 1.0 in some cases. Most of the time,I leave the Ev set to 0 or +0.3 with the tammy, which is aboutwhat you need whenusing LV.Some times I miss the extra 10mm on the WA that the kit lens provides but considering thatit offersa much longer FL,this lenshad stayedon my camera most of the time since Igot it.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 3:40 PM   #30

Well after looking at your results with this lens, I too purchased one about a week ago. I have not had a chance to try it out, but will soon.

Thanks for the tip on this lens, what a deal!

kgh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote