Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:24 PM   #31

Excellent! Congrats.I'm looking forward to seeingthe results you'll get with yours!BTW, what Alpha model do you have?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:32 PM   #32

Tullio wrote:
Quote:
Excellent! Congrats.I'm looking forward to seeingthe results you'll get with yours!BTW, what Alpha model do you have?
I have the Sony Alpha 300, purchased back in March. I was leaning towards the Olympus E510, but after lurking on this forum for awhile decided on the Sony. Then after reading your initial posts on your Sony, began wondering if I had made the right choice. So far I am pretty happy with mine, would like to pick up a faster prime lens for indoor shots. Have any reccomendations??
kgh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:56 AM   #33

I sold my E510 in favor of the A300 because of its betterhandling of DR. The E510 is an excellent camera and the Zuiko lenses beat the Sony hands down. The E510 also has more controls and I miss some of the features the A300 does not have. But, the A300 appears to be a solid performer. I no longer have to take multiple pictures of the same subject just to get good highlights (no clipping). The problem with primes IMO is that although they may be fast, most are 35mm, 50mm or more. Withe the 1.5x sensor crop, these lenses become useless indoors unless you are shooting portraits. When I think of indoor photography, I think of family reunion, kids at play, parties, large groups of people and for that, you need an 18mm but those are not fast lenses. 50mm used to be the standard (kit) SLR lens that would comewith just about any film SLR camera. However, theywere true 50mm, not 50x1.5 and their angle of view was very limited, reason why people used to by WA lenses. So,unless you want to spend a lot of money, I'd stick to the Kit 18-70mm for indoor shooting. That's my opinion, of course.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:34 PM   #34

Here's another shot taken with the Tammy 28-105mmm
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:36 PM   #35

Bird of Paradise (100% crop)
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:23 PM   #36

Dry leaf
Attached Images

Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:59 AM   #37

Hey, Tullio! Thanks for posting about this lens. I went right to Amazon a couple days ago and ordered it. Since it came from Ohio, I had it in a day! It's on my A300 now and I'm going to enjoy some me-time with my camera, hitting some back roads around my town and shooting some favorite spots. I can't wait to see what I get with this nifty little lens.

By the way, I think the bird of paradise picture may be of canna lilies. Those look like a canna's developing seedpods.

Ooh, I just looked and it seems Photoworld has sold out of them at that bargain price! The least expensive one at Amazon now is $159.99!

:G Kimberley

Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:57 AM   #38

Good deal, Kimberley! The price at Amazon is now $164.13 sold by Ace Photo Digital. The one for $159.99 is from Amazon Marketplace.

This lens has been on my A300 just about 100% of the time and I love it. I don't know about you but with the kit lens, I always had to increase Ev to +0.7 to avoid under exposure but with this lens, I can shoot with Ev 0 or +0.3 max. I like that. It would be perfect if it had macro capability. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pictures with this lens. Actually, since so many people have bought it, it would be great if you all posted some images so we can compare the outcome.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:02 PM   #39

The only drawback I see is Iam going to need a second UV filter for this one to protect it since it takes a different sized filter than my kit lens. I wish I'd realized that when I bought it -- I'd have ordered them at the same time! :? I also need to change my lenscap string so it attaches with velcro instead of the adhesive; that way I can use it with all my lenses as I get them. Hindsight! LOL
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 12:18 PM   #40

Since the lens was not being sold by Amazon, you would not qualify for free shipping unless the filter cost more than $25 (I don't believe Photoworld sell filters through Amazon). So, most likely you'd get two packages anyway.

A few years back I've tested many filter brands andconcluded thatall the most popular brands perform the same (as long as the filter isMC), whetherit's a $17 Hoya or a $70 B+W. So,I'd look for a Hoya, Sigma and if you want to go real cheap, buy a fotodiox from eBay. They work real well despite their low price. I have several (72mm, 62mm, 58mm) and they do the job just fine. I'd give it a try. If you really dislike it, you can send it back for a refund (even though it's really not worth it considering how much they cost). Fotodioxhas a great return policy.I think you'd be happy with it(and save lots of $$$ too).