Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:28 PM   #11

So maybe "A700" was too ambitious.

Since the 24MP FF model will undoubtedly be the "A900", then a 12MP (or 14MP) FF model should be the "A800". That wouldn't leave room for a 20MP APS-C model between the "A800" and the current A700. And meanwhile, there's this huge gap between "A3XX" and "A700".

That's the trouble with putting numbers in your 'model numbers'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:40 PM   #12
Administrator

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
And from what I hear the D700 does have the D3 guts, FAST!
If so (same internal processing as the D3), the AF will be pretty sweet. If it's the same AF processing as the D300, I'd probably pass.

We'll have to wait and see what Sony has in mind with their new Flagship.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:50 AM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
And from what I hear the D700 does have the D3 guts, FAST!
If so (same internal processing as the D3), the AF will be pretty sweet. If it's the same AF processing as the D300, I'd probably pass.

We'll have to wait and see what Sony has in mind with their new Flagship.
Well reading through the information I can find all three cameras (D3, D300 & D700) claimto use the EXPEED image processor (capture NX processing and NR algorithms).

The D300 is the only one that uses 14-bit A/D conversion with an unspecified readout.

The D3 & D700 features 14-bit A/D conversion, 12 channel readout.

The price is still a little steep $2999. Maybe in a year or two as processors get cheaper to produce, theFF sensors will come down in price.

The 15 cross type sensors sure is a nice feature (great for tracking birds or sports) especially with the color tracking. if you add the double cross center sensor (A700) tothat it would even nicer.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:13 PM   #14
Administrator

The D3's AF system is faster (don't go by the specs alone, as there are more differences in internal components and algorithms than meets the eye on paper). You can have the world's greatest AF sensor assembly, but the camera's processing of the data needs to keep up. ;-)

For example, this is one comment that imaging-resource.com made about the D300's AF:

"In terms of the D300's ability to determine that it's properly focused when shooting the same target multiple times, its speed is a bit below average for a semi-pro model. The D300 required about 0.23 second for full AF when using Single-point (center) AF mode (our default full AF lag test), and 0.42 second when using the 51-point Auto-area AF mode."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D300/D300A6.HTM

Here's a comment from a Canon shooter about it:

[*]AF System: The AF system of the D300 is very acceptable. I found it plenty fast enough in high contrast situations but it seemed a bit sluggish in low light (compared to the Mark III anyways).
[/*]

http://www.pbase.com/dreamndigital/nikon_d300

Here's a similar comment from someone that has used Canon gear (this time, from a 40D owner):

"To wit: The 40D has FASTER focus aquisition indoors with average lighting using either just the center point or all points on either camera. D300 with the 70-200VR and 40D with 70-200/2.8.

S-AF, center point only both were pretty fast but the 40D was faster. With all points on the D300 it was quite sluggish. It doesn't seem to have the processing power to go through them all quickly. With the 40D it doesn't make much difference. "

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/613685/1

Here's a comment from Shawn Barnett over at imaging-resource.com

"And though the Nikon D300 has 51 autofocus points like the Nikon D3, it is much slower at acquiring focus than the D3 is when in Auto-area AF. It's also slower than the competition, whose AF includes considerably fewer points."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D300/D300A.HTM

Chances are, the new Nikon D700 is using the same "guts" as the D3 though (and it's AF system is very nice). We'll have to wait and see what Sony has "up their sleeves" to compete with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:51 PM   #15

Great point!

It seems like the D300 takes more time to scan through all the focus sensors (and 51 is a lot) to determine where to lock focus. But in low light/low contrast situations most AF systems will slow.

Fast focuscertianly seems to beone of thestrong points with the A700, it finds what it's supposed too (most of the time) focuses and locksvery quickly. My prefered AF is spot. I don't like the camera making the decision on what to focus on when in wide AF. I beleive that "spot AF" is going to be faster focusing then wide on any camera. Coming from a 5Dthe speed of the A700 is ahuge difference in any AF selection. At least thats what I've experienced. But it also has11 not 51focus points when in wide AF.

Another cool thing that the D700 has is the ability to choose the number of focus areas used. It allows you to choose 51 points with 3D tracking, 51 points, 21 points or 9 points. Its nice to have that choice.

Side note;

I was just trying out the new 70-300 G lens and was not very impressed with the speed of the SSM. Maybe I'm just not used to it but I was having trouble getting focus on kids riding by on bicycles.

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:21 PM   #16

D700 ..looks nice ...and is not really too expensiive....still possbile for pple who save money... But I am a Sony user...and still will be...

I hope Sony will bring out a full frame camera with less noise as ISO goes up. Weather proof body. but not a 24Mpixel....hope there's a cheaper 12-XX Mp version... This is all I would like to see in a future Sony camera.

Prize? not too high I hope. Around 3000 dollars that is reachable for me I hope =p

Stuffing up my little piggybag with dollar bills one by one ....let the Fullframe come... ! =)
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:14 AM   #17

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
Great point!

It seems like the D300 takes more time to scan through all the focus sensors (and 51 is a lot) to determine where to lock focus. But in low light/low contrast situations most AF systems will slow.

Fast focuscertianly seems to beone of thestrong points with the A700, it finds what it's supposed too (most of the time) focuses and locksvery quickly. My prefered AF is spot. I don't like the camera making the decision on what to focus on when in wide AF. I beleive that "spot AF" is going to be faster focusing then wide on any camera. Coming from a 5Dthe speed of the A700 is ahuge difference in any AF selection. At least thats what I've experienced. But it also has11 not 51focus points when in wide AF.

Another cool thing that the D700 has is the ability to choose the number of focus areas used. It allows you to choose 51 points with 3D tracking, 51 points, 21 points or 9 points. Its nice to have that choice.

Side note;

I was just trying out the new 70-300 G lens and was not very impressed with the speed of the SSM. Maybe I'm just not used to it but I was having trouble getting focus on kids riding by on bicycles.

Sometimes you have to let the camera choose what focus point(s) to use. Like tracking a moving object but you do not want it dead centered in your picture. But I can't tell more...my alpha 100 is kinda slow with moving objects =) But still like my old alpha 100
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote