Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 6, 2008, 3:22 PM   #1

I'm happy for the most part with the A700 but there are some things (as always) I wish they could have done different/better.

Looks like Nikon should have a winner with this one.

Lets hope Sony will have something in the near future to compete with this full frame amature level camera.

If Sony could build a camera that matches or beatsthe specs of this Nikon (especially high ISO/low noise, multiple cross sensors withthe A700s double cross center sensor) but also have the advantage of SSS, they would definitley have an awesome camera as long as they could beat the D700 price by a couple of hundred dollars.

Any way here's a link to the D700. It's worth checking out.

http://www.nikon.com/about/news/2008/0701_d700_01.htm
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:02 PM   #2

Very nice, but the D700 is a full frame 12MP dSLR; Sony's A900 (or whatever) will be a full frame 24MP dSLR. They'llbe competitors the way that the D40 and the A200 are competitors.

And remember, your A700 can use the DT lenses, but the D700 can't use Nion's DX lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:18 PM   #3
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
And remember, your A700 can use the DT lenses, but the D700 can't use Nion's DX lenses.
Sure it can, just like the D3 can use DX lenses at reduced resolution..

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:19 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, but the D700 is a full frame 12MP dSLR; Sony's A900 (or whatever) will be a full frame 24MP dSLR. They'llbe competitors the way that the D40 and the A200 are competitors.

Yes TCav the Sony full frame will be 24MP. IMO I think I would rather have a 12MP FF. The noise from a 12MP FF should be very well controlled with smaller files to work with I see that as 2 BIG +s.

And I do believe the D700 will accept the DX lenses according to http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...5444/D700.html

I don't know if thats what you meant or there is a DT lens.

This was a very well thought out camera. It's really got me thinking.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:12 PM   #5

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
And I do believe the D700 will accept the DX lenses according to http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...5444/D700.html
Yes, the D700 will accept DX lenses, but it will only be a 5MP dSLR when it does.

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
This was a very well thought out camera. It's really got me thinking.
There will always be a 'bigger', 'better', 'faster'. Someone could abandon their A700 in favor of a D700, and then when a 50D comes out they can abandon their D700, etc., etc., etc., and the only people that will benefit are the used camera dealers.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6

Yes TCav, there will always be bigger, better, faster. And I understand Sony is still in the early stages of the DSLR market which is the reason I've stuck around this long.

The A700 is a very high performance amature camera. I have a few issues with the A700 but overall I think it is a great camera.

Konica Minolta selling off their DSLRmarket was a sad day, but with Sony acquiring KM I figured things would have moved a little quicker with the development of new bodies. I can't think of any other company that could have entered the DSLR market with the advantage that Sony came in with.

Anyhow, it's funny Sony could come out with the A700 first (of course after the A100)then released the 200, 300, 350.

Nikon did the same thing to certian degree. The D300, D3 and then the D700. I might be a little upset if I had recently bought a D300.

I don't plan on jumping ship anytime soon but Sony needs to better compete with the other two and exploit the SSS advantage it has. If not I'll be thinking real hard.

The in bodySSS is deciding factor forme now and I'm sure a few others feel the same.

Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:02 AM   #7

I agree. Canon and Nikon have a big advantage with their selection of lenses and accessories (from the OEMs as well as third parties), and Sony seems to want to counter that with lenses that require a second mortgage to buy. Minolta had some really great lenses that they discontinued because they weren't selling enough cameras; Sony is selling plenty of cameras, and so should bring back some of those old lenses (100/2.0, 35/2.0, 28/2.0, etc.) Minolta already had the best 85/1.4 on the market, yet Sony dropped it for the CZ. Yes, the CZ is better still, but so what? They only bettered themselves. And Minolta also had an excellent 28-70/2.8 that had been discontinued, but instead of brining it back, Sony went to CZ and got the $1,750 24-70/2.8.

It seems to me that, on their way back from buying the camera business from KM, Sony left the very respectable lens division on the side of the road somewhere.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Administrator

lomitamike

If you could rent or borrow a D300 for a while, you'd probably appreciate your A700 more.

The question in my mind is if the newer D700 gets the D3's AF system, or the D300's AF system (as there are significant differences in performance between them, even though both use a 51 point AF sensor). My guess is that it's probably getting the same "guts" as the D3 (given the same sensor), so the AF processing will be just as fast. But, I haven't seen much detail yet on what they may have in common in this area.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:39 AM   #9

OK, enough of the ranting.

The main point I was trying to make is how sweet that D700 is. I really hope Sony comes up with something comparable other then the new A800/900 24MP. If it does, then theSSS will make the choice a no-brainer.

Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:47 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
lomitamike

If you could rent or borrow a D300 for a while, you'd probably appreciate your A700 more.

The question in my mind is if the newer D700 gets the D3's AF system, or the D300's AF system (as there are significant differences in performance between them, even though both use a 51 point AF sensor). My guess is that it's probably getting the same "guts" as the D3 (given the same sensor), so the AF processing will be just as fast. But, I haven't seen much detail yet on what they may have in common in this area.
I do really appreciate the A700 coming from a 5D. It's a major leap forward.

And from what I hear the D700 does have the D3 guts, FAST!

Since Nikon has come out with the D700 for the advanced amature it should (hopefully) get a reaction from Sony and Canon.