Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:58 PM   #1

Hi, just recently purchased this lenes to fit the a100, thought it would be great, however, it is far from great, really soft focus at the long end, like out of focus and photos looking like shit. I have tryed a few tricks but can not rely on it..... any surgestions from anyone experenceing the same problem.... I think I have to sell this hunk of crap HELP
glennbisdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:10 AM   #2

How about you post some images so we can see the problem? Make sure the EXIF data is intact.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:03 AM   #3
Administrator

Looking at the MTF charts for a couple of different versions of Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lenses at photodo, it does look like it's relatively soft on the 300mm end, even with the aperture stopped down. Dead Center shouldn't be too bad (although it gets soft fast as you get further from the center of the frame). You'll see MTF charts for a couple of versions of this lens under Sigma:

http://old.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

But, it may be something else, too (for example, your shutter speeds could be too slow and you're getting blur from camera shake, which is magnified as focal lengths get longer). Stablization only helps so far.

As already suggested, you may want to post a sample so that members can try to help you figure out if it's the lens, or something you may be doing wrong.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:34 PM   #4

Thanks for this will post examples of photos, at the time was using studio lights Bowens outside, so synk quite slow 125 at 8 and not using a tripod. Admittly this was the fisrt time I used this lenes outside. For the most part been using inside shooting wine with lights as well, still soft, will post photo, the reason Im a little worried is next week head into the snow to shoot snow boarding and ski action, have a look at photos as see what you think I am doing wrong with this thing, thanks a lot you guys glenn
glennbisdee is offline   Reply With Quote