Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1

HY!!!I have a very big problem with my Maxxum 5D and nobody can find the source of the problem,i have to specify that lens is OK.The problem is that the camera focuses on an object but is doesn't shoot the picture.This happend and it got fixed by itself,but now it seems that this is permanent.The stabilisation sensor makes a very weird souns and the person who tried to fix it said this could be the problem but hes not sure.When the camera started working again it had no problems but when it stoped working,even the focusing was all wrong(i wanted to focuc on the center and it focused on the right/left).Please give me some help because i have no ideea what to do with it.Thanks in advance
raduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:26 AM   #2

This sounds like a job for Precision Camera. Their standard charge to repair a 5D is $269 plus shipping. They're one of the best, and had been doing all Minolta's warranty work for years. I've heard that they may even be Sony's warranty repair center.

$269 is cheaper than a new A200, but not by much. It's your call.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3

The camera is allready in a service but they don't really know what's the problem with it.I was thinking that maybe somebody had the same problem with Konica Minolta.It would cost a lot to send it from Romania,and the trip back.I can buy a Maxxum 5D with the money spent on repair and transport.If anybody known what's the problem,please let me know.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:35 PM   #4

This is a surprise for me...I had this exact same problem 2 hours ago with my 5D. I didn't expect to sign on and see this as the top post, same problem.

All of a sudden, the camera wouldn't take a picture...it would focus, but when I pressed all of the way, it wouldn't shoot. Everytime I tried to turn it off/on, it made a couple of clicks, and then there was a motorized noise from within. I have an extended warranty on it through Circuit City, and I called them. The man had me do a hardware reset on it, by removing the battery and card, turning it on forr 30 seconds, then off, reinserting everything. That worked for the time-being, but he couldn't answer me if this is something that would continue happening or not.

I also have had the issue of the shutter getting stuck on the first shot of the day, and I get a black image, that's been happening for months. So I'm thinking I'll just send it in for both and see what happens. I think I remember reading here that the shutter sticking was a somewhat common problem...off to re*****h that.

Good luck to you!
Darlene2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:30 AM   #5

Darlene2 wrote :
Quote:
This is a surprise for me...I had this exact same problem 2 hours ago with my 5D. I didn't expect to sign on and see this as the top post, same problem.

All of a sudden, the camera wouldn't take a picture...it would focus, but when I pressed all of the way, it wouldn't shoot. Everytime I tried to turn it off/on, it made a couple of clicks, and then there was a motorized noise from within. I have an extended warranty on it through Circuit City, and I called them. The man had me do a hardware reset on it, by removing the battery and card, turning it on forr 30 seconds, then off, reinserting everything. That worked for the time-being, but he couldn't answer me if this is something that would continue happening or not.

I also have had the issue of the shutter getting stuck on the first shot of the day, and I get a black image, that's been happening for months. So I'm thinking I'll just send it in for both and see what happens. I think I remember reading here that the shutter sticking was a somewhat common problem...off to re*****h that.

Good luck to you!
I tried to do what you said but it still wont work.The only chance is to try to disconect the image stabiliser because the people from the service sayd that it's possible that the stabiliser is the problem.They will try to disconect it to see if the camera works without it.Thanks for trying to help me
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:44 AM   #6

darlene,

your problem sounds exactly like mine which has been diagnosed as a bad IS motor.

Apparently the camera does some type of calibration or function check of the motor when turned on. If it doesnt pass it wont work. Camera turns on, AF locks, but will not fire no matter what settings. hope this helps, ecap.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:50 AM   #7

Mine did the same thing after I dropped it. Worked intermittantly for a while. Eventually it wouldn't reset. Local repair shop felt like it was the AS motor but couldn't/wouldn't get the part and recommended sending it to Sony or Precision. $269 is a little high when a much better and newer A200 can be had for $499. I ended up with an A700...couldn't pass up a Best Buy close out.

Anyway, I hope your is fixable, but it looks like that AS motor might be a weakness in the design.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:30 PM   #8

Hi guy's

As stupid as this may sound I got my Konica Minolta 5D Dynax the other day and put the battery in the wrong way and i'm not keen on getting it sent away to be fixed as i've got 2 things on in the next 2 weeks I need it for is there anyway to get it out of the camera I've tried a few way's taken it to camera places(witch I might add none of them want to touch it) and was wondering what solutions someone can provide for me in getting it out. also does the battery grip have circuitry behind it? any help would be appreciated

Phil
phil.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:01 AM   #9

I have been a bit shaken in terms of sony reliability (My IS recently failed after a year). Haven't heard about the newest ones, but there have been problems with some (including a500-550) within a YEAR . shorter life than a p&s? disappointing. Not to say that they all are like that, but for different reasons including this I am seriously considering switching to canon.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Administrator

Luck of the draw. ;-)

I've got a Maxxum 5D that still works, and my A700 still works fine, too.

If you look at some of the reliability reports around for dSLR models, they're all about the same (around 4% failure rate within the first 2 years). You'll find some posts discussing the latest Consumer Reports study in various forums. Here's one.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37020345

Squaretrade also does some reliability studies. They noted a failure rate of around 4% for Nikon and Canon dSLR models at the 2 year point (about the same, although consumer reports ranks Nikon's failure rate as a bit higher at 6%) in their last digital camera report. They didn't have enough data for Sony dSLR models, so they weren't included as they were in the Consumer Reports dSLR study. But, they've got good data on how point and shoot cameras compare (and Sony does very well compared to Nikon and Canon). See that report here:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/C...lure_study.pdf
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote