Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1

Hi Everyone:

I was fighting with my reviews I had read on the Canon XSi, Nikon D80 and the Sony A200,300 & 350.

I finally decided to purchase a Sony A300.

Is that the right choice you think?

Any way I have a few more questions then that.

(1) Does anyone know if Sony or any Third Party Software will allow PC COntrol over the Sony A300 so I can teather it to my PC and focus it with the PC and take pictures? If so please link me to what type of software I need and any other info.

(2) I purchased the kit lense and a extra 70-300 I think.. I will be doing photography such as portraits, home shots, maybe landscapes and some wedding stuff. What do you recommend for prime lenses for that? What can I get that will be very good for the camera from the older Konica Minolta line that I can find used and cheap?

I hope someone replies. I have never posted to a forum.

Thanks,

Matt
Thefinancewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:14 AM   #2

Thefinancewiz wrote:
Quote:
(1) Does anyone know if Sony or any Third Party Software will allow PC COntrol over the Sony A300 so I can teather it to my PC and focus it with the PC and take pictures? If so please link me to what type of software I need and any other info.
The A700 comes with Remote Control software, but I don't think anybody has anything for the A300.

Thefinancewiz wrote:
Quote:
(2) I purchased the kit lense and a extra 70-300 I think.. I will be doing photography such as portraits, home shots, maybe landscapes and some wedding stuff. What do you recommend for prime lenses for that? What can I get that will be very good for the camera from the older Konica Minolta line that I can find used and cheap?
For portraits, the Sony 50mm f/1.4 ($350) or a used Minolta 50mm f/1.7 (~$100) are good choices.

For "home shots", a 50mm might also be a good choice, but might be too long. (I presume you mean something for indoor/low light subjects.) The kit lens might do ok, but it is pretty dim, so you would have to suppiment with flash. I prefer to use available light, and use a faster lens. I like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for that.

For landscape, the kit lens goes to 18mm (35mm equivalent of 27mm) which might be good enough. If not, there's the Sony 11-18mm (a rebranded Tamron) or the Sigma 10-20mm.

Unfortunately, some of your applications are fairly speciallized and require expensive lenses that are not widely available in the used market, so, except for the 50mm f/1.7, you're not likely to find much 'used'.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:29 AM   #3

I have the A700 and love the camera but the remote is very limited for use on the camera. Shutter release and 2 second delay are all you can do and the range and location is critical. You must be able to aim the remote at the right front side of the camera or use mirrors and the range is not real great either.

I was giving the A300 a real serious look until I found a deal at BB on the A700.

I am more or less down to two lenses now. I just got the Sony SAL18-250 and it is wonderful for 99% of what I shoot.
Indoor I use my trusty old Minolta 50mm f1.7
On my wish list is a 70-200 f2.8 for indoor sports like Volleyball and Basketball.

For more info on your camera go to http://www.alphamountworld.com/forums
They are exclusively Sony.

For a bunch of info on lens and reviews of them go to http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24857

Both are good web sites.
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:20 PM   #4

Thefinancewiz wrote:
Quote:
(1) Does anyone know if Sony or any Third Party Software will allow PC COntrol over the Sony A300 so I can teather it to my PC and focus it with the PC and take pictures?
I just re-read this. Nobody does this. The only control circuit between the camera and a computer is USB, and even at USB 2.0 speeds, it would take WAY too long to send the image to the computer for you to use it for framing and focus. It's just not practical.

Perhaps something like a Zigview LCD Angle Finder would satisfy your requirements.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:57 AM   #5

I was in Paris the last 4 days. I used a Alpha 100 and a 50 1.4 to shoot buildings in the dark from the boattrip. And guess what?

The pictures came out ok...for such hard condition. I used ISO 400...800 is just too

grainy. So the 50 1.4 / 1.8 are great portrait lenses or even building lenese!

But....a wide angle might give very good pictures....you will get your subjects (married couple) filling up the picture as in whole body...and still have room for background... that is one thing that is very good with an wide angle.

feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote