Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:43 PM   #1

Hey everyone, new here but have been lurking around for the past few weeks. I just bought an A300 and so far love it. although Im still learning how to use it =)

anyways, the initial reason I bought the camera was for a trip im taking in a few months. I do a lot of rock climbing and I wanted to just try and take some landscape pictures of the areas I climb in, wide open canyon shots, views from the high areas, just whatever I run into.

From Sony directly they have their 11-18 wide angle lens that was recommended to me at my local sonyStyle store. Do any of you have any experience with that specific lens or have any further recommendations.

Oh and the only lens I have so far is just the 18-70mm kit lens.

Thanks
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2

Don't have the lens but the reviews on Dyxum.com seem positive. You can read them here: http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=311

The Sigma 10-20mm has a higher rating and is $150 cheaper. Plus it's a little brighter.

BTW congrats on the camera. I'm sure you're loving it, it's a great piece of engineering.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 2:34 PM   #3

The Sigma 12-24 got good results:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=122
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 4:44 PM   #4

Is the 18 in your 18-70 not wide enough?

Of not, Sony's 11-18 (a rebranded Tamron), and Sigma's 10-20 and 12-24 all appear good from the reviews.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:00 AM   #5

first of all thanks for the replies, I absolutely love this camera, I just can't wait until I actually learn how to use it to its full ability.

I will look at those other lenses a little more closely and check out the reviews.

no the 18 on my 18-70 isn't wide enough. i was out climbing yesterday and took some landscape shots from the top of a route and I would like a little more of a wide view from it.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:52 AM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Is the 18 in your 18-70 not wide enough?

Of not, Sony's 11-18 (a rebranded Tamron), and Sigma's 10-20 and 12-24 all appear good from the reviews.
I like TCav's suggestion. I have actually seen a few of these lenses (the were KM marked) at some local photo shops and craigslist. Seems like they are hovering around $400 from what I have seen.

I know a 24 or a 28mm F2.8 isn't really ideal for wide wide shots, but the 28mm can be found pretty easily for under a $100 USD and the 24mm a good amount higher, like $200 USD.

Having read reviews, it seem they are both sharp primes and are of good value, but depending on what you already have, there aperture may not be low enough.
Skyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:44 AM   #7

I have the Sigma 10-20 EX lens and it is great! You can take a shot of a whole room by standing against a wall.
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 1:43 PM   #8

firstascent wrote:
Quote:
I just can't wait until I actually learn how to use it to its full ability.
Trust me. That won't ever happen. [suB]:-)[/suB]

SLRGear.com has test results for the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 11-18 (the Sony is this lens with a Sony nameplate), which are both about the same price. See:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/47/cat/23

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/171/cat/31

It seems that the Tamron isn't very sharp wide and wide open, and has worse CA throughout, while the Sigma has worse vignetting and bad CA wide. Unfortunately, they don't have similar test results for the Sigma 12-24. Tough call, but of the two, I think I'd get the Sigma and stop down to avoid the CA.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:33 PM   #9

firstascent wrote:
Quote:
... I would like a little more of a wide view from it.
No matter how short a lens you get, you will always find a situation that needs something wider. So I'd suggest that you figure out how to stitch panoramas. That is much easier with landscapes than architecture and can often be done hand-held. There is a forum down a ways here if you have questions.

It is easier (fewer to stitch) with a wide lens so if the $500 price tag for the Sigma 10-20 or the $690 for the 12-24 doesn't cause you to gasp, go for one of them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 2:01 AM   #10

Thanks guys,

I know some time in the near future I would like to get a wide-angle lens but in the meantime learning to stitch panorama's isn't a bad idea. I have done a lot of graphic design so im sure I could figure out stitching in PS quickly. Thanks for mentioning that, this way I can wait a little longer before spending 4-600 on another lens before my trip.