Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 3, 2008, 2:09 PM   #1

I purchased this lens after all reading (...and reading) all the reviews and thoughts I could about it. After finding one in excellent condition at a pawn shop, I felt I robbed them for only $50 USD.

But things are complicated since I have a "new" Minolta 28-135mm. And if you don't know what it is, there is a great summary Here

On topic, with the crop factor, I am not really gaining too much with the beercan. They both have the same build quality and weight, excellent image quality, etc etc ...

If I were to sell it, I would be interested something at like a 100-300mm, like the Minolta APO version.

Am I crazy to think about selling the beercan? :lol:
Skyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:38 PM   #2

Not if you sell it to me for $75. :lol:
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:04 PM   #3

You have a 28-135mm f/4.0-4.5 and a Beercan you got for $50.

The Beercan gives you 1/3 f-stop where it overlaps the 28-135, and 1/3 to a full f-stop where it overlaps the 100-300.

Hold onto the Beercan until you get the 100-300. Then sell it to Gardenwife for $75.

BTW, yesterday, a 100-300 APO went on eBay for $395. Beercans have been going on eBay for $250-$350. You might be ableto pay for the 100-300 APO by selling your Beercan.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 8:14 PM   #4

Here's another Minolta 100-300 APO (D) with less than 2 hours to go, and a top bid of $482.

eBay Item number: 170244561039

Maybe your Beercan won't pay for a 100-300 APO.

Edit: An Update: It finally sold for $585!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5

Just goes to show there are fools born every minute.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:57 PM   #6

2many wrote:
Quote:
With Beercans going for over $300, maybe $600 for a 100-300 APO isn't unreasonable.

I pity the fool that buys a 100-300 for $70, thinking he got an APO dirt cheap.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:23 PM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
2many wrote:
Quote:
With Beercans going for over $300, maybe $600 for a 100-300 APO isn't unreasonable.

I pity the fool that buys a 100-300 for $70, thinking he got an APO dirt cheap.
For the same lenses you could have bought a year ago for $100 each. There is no way in the world I would pay $300 or $600 for 20 year old lenses. You get a $600 apo version and it breaks in the first week. no warranty. Your SOL.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 2:57 PM   #8

I guess it depends on how much money you have and what kind of warranties the lenses you are comparing with come with.

If the optical quality / other properties of a twenty year old lens is seen as better than what is available from today (for approximately the same price) then, depending on the two variables listed above, you may take the somewhat philosophical view that if something has ticked for 20 years then it is unlikely to go belly-up immediately after you've purchased it.
Lindinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:21 PM   #9

Lindinblade wrote:
Quote:
I guess it depends on how much money you have and what kind of warranties the lenses you are comparing with come with.

If the optical quality / other properties of a twenty year old lens is seen as better than what is available from today (for approximately the same price) then, depending on the two variables listed above, you may take the somewhat philosophical view that if something has ticked for 20 years then it is unlikely to go belly-up immediately after you've purchased it.
Its your money do whatever you want with it. I just refuse to pay those kind of prices for something that a year ago people couldnt sell, now all of a sudden everyone jumps for them because some so called experts say they are superior to anything else. I am sorry but I dont beleive all the misinformation that is out there to drive prices upl.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 3:32 PM   #10

2many wrote:
Quote:
I just refuse to pay those kind of prices for something that a year ago people couldnt sell, now all of a sudden everyone jumps for them because some so called experts say they are superior to anything else.
That's not what's happening. What's happening is that Sony is selling more dSLRs than Minolta ever did, and all those new Sony owners want those old Minolta lenses. It's Sony's succes that's driving up the prices, not the opinions of some so-called experts. And the situation isn't going to reverse itself unless Sony closes up its dSLR business.

I don't see any signs of that happening, so if you don't alrready have some of those older lenses, now's the time to get some, because the price will only go up.

And to a great extent, lenses are like anvils; if they work, they are likely to keep on working. The only major difference between a lens and an anvil is that a lens is slightly easier to damage.