Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:27 PM   #1

If any of you are considering buying this lens, Please for your sake buy something else. I bought this lens new in June 2007 and was very pleased until it started stripping gears. I sent it back to Sigma and it was repaired and returned. It worked fine for about a month and stripped again. I sent the lens back 5 times in less than 1 year and Sigma replaced it with a new lens on it's fifth visit. Well, the new lens lasted 6 weeks and stripped it's gears today. I am very careful with my equipment and not one of my other lens has had a problem. I find it hard to believe that they sell this inferior product in the competitive world that we have live in. This problem occured on both the A100 and A700 cameras. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2

I sent mine back 4 times before they replaced it, and the new one lasted two days, it is now back to Sigma for the 5th time. I bought this lens in May of 2008, Sigma has had it more than I have. DO NOT BUY THIS LENS.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Administrator

I've seen a number of reports about stripped gears with this lens in Sony Alpha models (mostly with the newer A200 and A700 since those have faster AF motors in them).

Note that you can set the AF drive speed to slow versus fast in the A700 menus to help prevent damage to lenses with questionable build quality. The other Sony Alpha models don't have that feature.

This Sigma model seems to be the only lens impacted by the faster focus motors from reports I've seen (no other lenses seem to have numerous reports of stripped gears like this Sigma model, even though any AF lens can fail from time to time in virtually any camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:57 PM   #4

I found that mine will stip the gear, when I turn the camera on and it is in the AF mode, When I get it back this time I will try ensuring that it is in MF when I turn the camera on, and then switching it to see if this helps.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5

Let's face it guys this lens is a dog. I refuse to use the slower AF speed. I should not have to do this on a new lens. My old Minoltas work great and they are 15-20 years old. We'll see if Sigma gives a damn about customer satisfaction when I call them tomorrow. I want a new lens { not a 70-300APO} or a full refund . Anything short of that will tell the story of their desire to satisfy a very PO'D customer. I thought I was buying a quality lens and I got a total piece of trash. They should be ashamed to market junk like this and then make claims about their high quality. A lot of people read these forums when they are getting ready to make a purchase. I wonder if Sigma knows about all the bad reports of their quality control. I'll post their solution to my situation in the next couple of days. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:48 PM   #6

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved. I have already asked for a refund, and was told basically to piss up a rope.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7

My brand new replacement lens failed within 2 days, I just got it back from Sigma and it lasted all of 2 shots. I am now awaiting a call from a Tom somebody at Sigma to try to resolve this.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 6:42 AM   #8

Hi,

I'm glad I found this site recently. I was on the verge of purchasing the 70-300 APO for my Alpha300.

Now I have an issue with what to buy now (took me ages to decide on the sigma).

I'm a newbie to DSLRs and want a zoom lens to go with my A300+standard 18-70 kit lens.

Should I know be looking at the Sony 70-300 or the tamron 70-300.

Unfortuately my budget is limited, hence the Sigma APO seemed the logical choice.

Thanks in advance
paulr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 7:42 AM   #9
Administrator

If you're on a tight budget and want a new lens, I'd probably look at the newest Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro. It's got closer focusing than most with the Macro switch on (it's a 1:2 versus 1:3 or 1:4 like you find with many similar zooms). IOW, at it's longest focal length and closest focus distance, it can fill the frame with a subject twice the size of the camera's sensor.

Unfortunately, most popular vendors (adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com, etc.) are sold out right now. That shouldn't last too long though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5_6_Di_LD.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:09 AM   #10

I agree with JimC. The Tamron Di LD is a better choice than the Sony.

It's not 'great'. I wouldn't even call it 'very good'. But it's better than the Sony 75-300.

SLRGear.com's test report on the Sony 75-300.

SLRGear.com's test report on the Tamron 70-300 Di LD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote