Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:44 PM   #11

I still have my A-100 and it is a great camera, however, The A-700 has numerous and substantial improvements.

I looked at the A-200 and on paper, I couldn't justify it. I was seriously considering the A-300 for the tilting LCD and the live view but then Best Buy got involved with my decision making and for under $900.00, it was a no brainer.

Now, think of this. If you got the A-700 instead of the A-200 you would end up with the same net number of camera's and you would be a very happy lady.

You probably have checked all the new Sony's till your blue in the face but just in case here is a link to all of them.

http://www.alphamountworld.com/reviews

Which ever way you decide to go, your going to end up with some great gear.
With the added auto focus speed on the A-700, the SAL18-250 lens just grabs whatever you aim it at. I can't imagine a better combo.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 5:33 PM   #12

Hi Flying Fossil-

Here is the first photo that I took with the SAL 18-250mm lens mounted on my A-100. The lens looks good.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:48 PM   #13

Hi Flying Fossil-

Here is another photo. This one was taken with my K-M 5D and the SAL 18-250mm lens. I think it is pretty impressive.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:15 PM   #14

Your on your way. I don't know how your setting compared in the two camera's but the color with the A-100 look more natural to me.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:30 PM   #15

Hi Flying Fossil-

Perhaps we can tame the WB dragon. Check out this photo, again taken with my K-M 5D and the SAL 18-250 Lens. There is a lot of good detail in this photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:43 PM   #16

Hi Flying Fossil-

OK, here we are back with the A-100 and the WB set to 5500K, using the SAL 18-250 lens. I personally think that this custom WB nails the WB equation. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your responses. I certainly appreciate your feed back. Thank you!

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:42 PM   #17

Hi Flying Fossil-

Here is the final one for this evening. This was taken with the A-100, and the WB set to 5500K, but this time with the Sony 56AM Flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:44 PM   #18

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Hi Flying Fossil-

Perhaps we can tame the WB dragon. Check out this photo, again taken with my K-M 5D and the SAL 18-250 Lens. There is a lot of good detail in this photo.

Sarah Joyce
I like this shot a lot Sarah.
Speaking of dragons and WB, I was in a Calumet photo store last week and had this gismo demo'd
http://www.expodisc.com/products/pro...ter_-_Portrait

It will assist a lot with get those colors just right.

I am also finding that using the DRO+ feature in addition to EV adjustments, I may never use the thing.

Always something.

Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:33 PM   #19

Hi Flying Fossil-

The Epo-Disk disk looks pretty good. Has it worked well for you? It would sure solve the exact WB equation if it works the way I understand it.

For example here are two photos. The first was taken with my KM 5D and a bargain lens that I picked up for a song on flea-bay, a Sigma 28-105mm, the WB was set on Auto.

Here is the same lens on the Sony A-100 with the WB set to 5500K. You can see a little difference.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:29 PM   #20

I could see a slight difference in the two pictures. Not sure if one is better?? than the other.

RE: Expo-disc. Not sure yet. I need more time with it to determine if it is worthwhile on the A-700.

I think I will go back to Calumet for another quick session on it's use. The colors out of the A-700 are pretty darned good as is.

How do you like the new lens thus far?