Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:52 AM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
If you don't mind having two (or more) lenses to cover the range, your images will be sharper and have less distortion and chromatic aberration than with either of these 'Jack of all trades and Master of none' lenses.
And the seperate lensesare cheaper!

Edit: Sorry. It didn't occur to me that I'd be bumping this.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:25 AM   #12

I recently (less than a week ago) bought the Tamron 28-300mm xr di for my A300 and absolutely love it. At first, I was a bit concerned about softness at 300mm since the primary purpose for buying the lens was to have the long zoom w/o having to exchange lenses all the time. After the very first batch of pictures, I could tell that this lens will not leave my camera. Sure I could do with a little more WA but I find havingthe 300mm reachmore useful to me than the 18mm, reason why I chose the 28-300mm instead of the 18-250mm. I posted a topic here with some shots I took with the A300 and this Tamron lens. The lens produces no CA or PF, is sharp throughout the entire FL, colors are well saturated and the camera meters real good (no over/under exposure). Now, there are a few Tamron 28-300mm models out there so if you are interested in one, make sure you look for the XR Di. I'm not sure the other models will perform similarly. I bought mine on eBay. The "beercan" gets a lot of praises but I find it too big and heavy. The Tammy 28-300mm is very compact (when not extended, of course) and light.That's my 2c.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:52 AM   #13

I have also used that exact Tamron 28-300mm lens with good results. I do however, miss the wide angle capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:36 PM   #14

For my photographic needs, I rather have the extra 75mm (50x1.5)at the long end thanthe extra 15mm (10x1.5)at the WA. But,it really boils down to personal preference and style.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:01 PM   #15

Thank you everyone for your input. I shall have a look at the various reviews and let yo uknow what I decide to gamble on.
Big4heD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:30 PM   #16

Whatever you do avoid the Sigma 70-300 APO like a case of social disease. I bought this lens new in June 07 and I have sent it back to Sigma 6 times since. They replaced it after the fifth return and the second lens lasted about 6 weeks before it repeated the same problem. They are sending me my third lens next week and sadly I predict a repeat performance in less than 2 months. It's a shame since the optical part of the lens is very good for a budget price. Sigma really needs to keep an eye on these forums. They are losing a lot of sales because of their QC issues. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2008, 10:58 PM   #17

I just ordered the Tamron 70-300 that TCav recommended above, should be here monday or tuesday. I believe on the review page at Dyxum there are sample photos but I can't remember, but I will post up some sample images once mine arrives. If you are interested in that lens as well I would suggest looking for it now if you want it any time soon because everywhere you look it is on backorder. I had to call literally EVERY single shop in a 150mi radius that was listed as a dealer on tamron's website and finally found a place up in Washington that happened to have 1 left in stock.
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 7:16 AM   #18

Remember that TCav wrote:
Quote:
...Neither is great, but the Tamron is better.
And make sure it's the Di LD.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:06 AM   #19

Sorry people, I still haven't decided what lens to get as there are so many conflicting reviews with AF speed for sports/wildlife, soft images at 300mm, etc. Is there somewhere that people post their photos with lenses that I can see the results which might help me decide?

I'm trying to decide between:
AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro (recommended by TCav)
AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD (recommended by Tullio & mtclimber)
or if there's another lens that might be slightly more expensive with better results?

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure I'll be happy with what I buy.

Also, I was in London the other day and went in to a shop and he tried to push the Sigma 70-300mm lens on me. I asked about the gearing issues with the Alphas that are reported all over the forums (thanks for the heads-up dwtbone), but he assured me this was only with the older Sigma lenses. Was he just trying to make a sale?
Big4heD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:23 AM   #20

There are lots of things that make a photo good or not so good. The lens is a tool, one of many. A great lens will not, all by itself, make great photos, but a poor lens can sure damage a photo.

One of the things you will learn is how to take advantage of what you've got, whether it be a great lens or a not-so-great lens.

On every quantitative scale, where their capabilities overlap, the 70-300 is superior to the 28-300, andthe 70-300 is faster.

See SLRGear.com's reviews:

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 AF

vs.

Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di AF

Dyxum.com lists the 70-300 with a rating of 3.99 and the 28-300 with 4.02, certainly within the margin for error given the small number of reviews each has received.

See Dyxum.com's user reviews:

Tamron - AF 70-300 F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

vs.

Tamron - AF 28-300 F3.5-6.3 XR Di

PhotoZone.de user ratings give the 70-300 a value of 2.25 and the 28-300 a value of 1.44. (PhotoZone.de's ratings tend to be harsher than most because the reponses are normalized; few people will actually give a lens a value of '1' for anything, so PhotoZone applies the actual responses over a normal distribution, accentuating the differences.)

See http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Othe...ormance-survey