Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:34 AM   #21

I should also point out that the 70-300 isa lot cheaper, and where it doesn't overlap the 28-300, the kit lens does a pretty good job already.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:42 AM   #22

Another consideration is what you want to shoot with it. You mentioned that you "need the zoom for longer distance sports shots like football (sorry 'soccer'), horse racing, motor racing, etc."

Some of the user reviews at Dyxum.com mention that the 28-300 is slow to focus.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:57 AM   #23

Big4heD wrote:
Quote:
Also, I was in London the other day and went in to a shop and he tried to push the Sigma 70-300mm lens on me. I asked about the gearing issues with the Alphas that are reported all over the forums (thanks for the heads-up dwtbone), but he assured me this was only with the older Sigma lenses. Was he just trying to make a sale?
Yes.

Old Aug 28, 2008, 2:17 PM   #24

Big4heD wrote:
Quote:
Sorry people, I still haven't decided what lens to get as there are so many conflicting reviews with AF speed for sports/wildlife, soft images at 300mm, etc. Is there somewhere that people post their photos with lenses that I can see the results which might help me decide?

I'm trying to decide between:
AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro (recommended by TCav)
AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD (recommended by Tullio & mtclimber)
or if there's another lens that might be slightly more expensive with better results?

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure I'll be happy with what I buy.
I absolutely agree with your concern. Here is my recommendation - (sorry Steve) - check out some other forums that may have a larger group of Sony DSLR users. What you NEED is advice frrom sports and wildlife shooters within the Sony community. I would NEVER, EVER buy a lens for either use without getting first-hand advice and photos. Lots of people shoot sports and wildlife. If you can't find examples on other forums with a given lens that should be a huge red flag. It means one of two things:

1. The lens is new and unproven as a sporting or wildlife lens

2. The lens isn't really good for that purpose. If lots of people are taking sports and wildlife photos but no one seems to be using a given lens that's a big clue.

Sport and wildlife shooting is NOT easy. It really isn't. It's tough for the photographer and it is VERY demanding on the equipment. And yet, for some strange reason, there are a lot of us out there doing it :G. Unfortunately Steves doesn't have a large contingent of sports & wildlife shooters in the Sony camp. So seek out those Sony sport and wildlife shooters and see what they're using. If people don't have galleries of sports or wildlife photos to share I'd advise against making a purchasing decision based upon their advice. This is not a knock on TCAV or Sarah - they both provide good advice and are knowledgable photographers. But you're talking specialized shooting here and you want the advice from people that share your passion. And just because I take the occasional portrait shot doesn't mean you should listen to my advice on portrait lenses. So, check out Fred Miranda, DP Review and any other sight where you're likely to encounter Sony shooters.

And while third party lenses have versions for all systems one thing that's different is the focus system. For instance, I shoot Canon. In the Canon system the focus motor is in the lens. The lens motors in the Tamron lenses are not up to the standards of Canon USM or Sigma HSM, BUT in Sony, the focus is performed by the camera - so you can't extrapolate focus performance. So you really want a Sony shooter with the given lens.

Good luck in your hunt!!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:50 PM   #25

Yeah. What JohnG said.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:14 PM   #26

Just for the heck of it, I checked here and found a number of posts by vIZnquestof sports using the Tamron 70-300 Di LD on both his older Pentax and his newer Nikon D200.

See Football,K100D Soccer Shots, and Got Schooled.

Since Big4heD's A200 can focus faster than vIZnquest's K100D, the Tamron 70-300 might do ok.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:18 AM   #27

I don't have the Tamron 70-300mm but I do have the 28-300mm XR Di and I think it's a great lens. The results I've been getting with it certainly exceed my expectations. The lens is fast and sharp across the entire zoom range (w/o having to step down to f/8 or f/11 like most comparable models),producing no PF or CA. It's short and compact when not extended, of course, which is perfect for traveling since the entire outfit can be placed in a relativelysmall camera bag. I've had the Sony 75-300mm and the Minolta 100-300mm xi and found both to be inferior than the Tamron.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:39 PM   #28

I bought the Tamron 70-300mm option in the end and must say, I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Posted a couple of pics here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=82

As an amateur, I'm still learning the ins-and-outs, but thanks all for your help.

Cheers.
Big4heD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:57 PM   #29

Very nice! Congratulations!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 6:01 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your new lens, I had that one when I was shooting with a Konica Minolta 5D and my father is still using it as he bought my old kit from me a few years back. He gets some good results and as you have seen already it it performing!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote