Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:31 AM   #1

Hi, Everyone, My name is sayitlikeitis. I am a bit shy to write my views in forums, I never do, this will be my first time. I normaly just like to read and learn. However on this occasion I felt the need to respond to JimC on the A350. But first I would like to tell you what my wife says of me, She calls me a camera fanatic, maybe she's right because every new cameraI see I buy. So whenSony released their Alpha range I bought all of them in succession as they were released, Namely the A100, A200, A350 and A700 but not the A300. I own many other brands as well, like the Nikon D300 and Canon 40d and all the rest lets just say I fancy myself to be a "Camera Collector" This being my hobby.

So I feel I need to just give my opinion on where JimC told someone not to buy the A350 but toget the A200 or A300 instead and the issue here being picture Quality and I must agree with JImC because I had the same problem with the A350 and the kit lenses that came with it. However I slapped on some of my older Minolta lenses and the problem was solved. I need to say thatwith better lenses and more expensive glass I immediately saw a great improvement with the A350 and dare I say that by using better glass the A350 out performed the A200.

These findings made me want to experiment further. So I went and bought two Carl Zeiss 1680 lenses, and I slapped one on my A350 and one on the A700 and all I could say was "wow" and after much use I am still saying "Wow" whenever I now look at the Images the A350 produces. Believe me when I say I can match the image quality with my A700 and Nikon D300 and definitely matches my Canon 40D in all ISO ranges.But then again this is my opinion.

I do feel people should not be put off from getting the A350, I know good lenses come at a cost, But I feel it is well worth it for the A350 considering the superior Image quality you will have obtained.

Thanks, sayitlikeitis.
sayitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:44 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes, I do often suggest to someone looking for a new camera to go with the A200 or A300 instead, usually including a comment that the higher resolution sensor places more demands on lens quality needed for best results. With higher quality glass compared to a lens like the 18-70mm kit lens, that's not going to be an issue.

Most camera owners are not going to need 14 Megapixels for great quality at typical viewing/print sizes. If you're going to crop a photo heavily, or print at very large sizes, then the extra megapixels may help. The A350 is a more expensive camera, and it's a slower camera compared to the A200 and A300. For most users, I wouldn't see any advantage to the higher resolution model, especially for new camera owners with a limited budget that wouldn't be buying lenses good enough to take advantage of this type of sensor (or printing images at sizes large enough for the higher resolution sensor to offer any benefits).

No one camera is perfect for all subjects and conditions. You have to take them on a case by case basis for the types of subjects you plan to shoot, taking the use for the images into consideration.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:41 AM   #3

Hi, JimC. Your reply is well understood and Ifind your logic to be very reasonable. So please pardon me if I misunderstood your advice. I think Sony is to blame for matching the A350 with the inferior kit lens. But then again how much more A350 would cost if paired with say SAL 16105. I think Sony is keeping prices low so users can get the A350 at a decent price and then later upgrade to the more expensive lenses.

Thanks,

sayitlikeitis.
sayitlikeitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Administrator

BTW, welcome, and make sure to share your experiences with other members in our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum. We have a small but growing community of friendly Sony Alpha users here.

Old Aug 30, 2008, 5:17 PM   #5

At least Sony now sells the A350 body by itself so you can pick a better lens.
The CZ 16-80 or the Sony 16-105 are both better choices than the
kit 18-70 lens. Yet, that lens is decent on the 10mp A100-A300 cameras.

BTW the A350 may have a problem with increased noise at high ISO vs the
A200/300 cameras. That would be a matter of the sensor pixel density and
Morre's law.

I just bought the A300, which is ONLY sold with the kit lens. I'll have to just
shoot lots of pictures and decide if I want to upgrade to a better lens later on.
I think another good choice would be the Minolta 24-105 zoom, which does
show up used from time to time.

kscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:46 PM   #6

MAN!!! Just when I was deciding to get the 350 I come across this (sometimes I'm glad it takes me forever to make decisions, I've been buying some accessories, but lucky me - they will work with either the 300 or 350)

So, if I buy the 350 I would need to invest more into lens's to get the pictures I'd get with the 300 and kit lens's?But the 350 would have more room for growth? How much more room do you think? This camera will have to last a while - my last big camera purchase was my Oly3040 - so it doesn't happen often!

Let's say I end up deciding to get the Tamron 17-50mm lens (or maybe the Sigma 17-70mm - not sure there/ about same price) with the Minolta 50mm lens; would I then be taking better pictures with the 350 than the 300?

CZ lens's would be a dream (and just that) so the most I would ever be able to upgrade to is about what I mentioned and maybe a more powerful tele waayyyy later on (years). I haven't even looked into anything past the kit 55-200mm lens yet/ accept for the Minolta 70-210. Onething I know I'll like better is bright lens's (my oly spoiled me there).

LOL, I'm almost ready to make that 'BIG' purchace.:O Money doesn't come fast when disabled so I want to make sure I'm making the 'right' decision; I can't afford mistakes.

Thanks,

Maggie
Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:11 AM   #7
Administrator

Since this thread is discussing pros and cons of two Alpha models and available lenses, I've moved it down to our Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR Forum, where you can get some opinions from members that shoot with this system.

Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:58 AM   #8

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
So, if I buy the 350 I would need to invest more into lens's to get the pictures I'd get with the 300 and kit lens's?...
I think you're taking it a bit too far. Up to now, with respect to sharpness, most lenses were better than the cameras they were attached to. Asimage sensors have increased in resolution (gotten sharper), some lenses have become the limiting factor with respect to sharpness. In order to take advantage of the extra resolution of the A350, you should use lenses that are up to the task. But using a lens that isn't as sharp as the A350 doesn't mean that the results won't be as good as they might be from an A300. They will be at least as good, maybe better than what the A300 will produce; they just won't be the best that the A350 can produce.

You could uselesser quality lenses with the A350, and your results won't be any worse than if you used the same lenses on an A300, and they may even be better.

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
Let's say I end up deciding to get the Tamron 17-50mm lens (or maybe the Sigma 17-70mm - not sure there/ about same price) with the Minolta 50mm lens; would I then be taking better pictures with the 350 than the 300?
Those are all fine lenses, and would likely be able to take advantage of the increased resolution of the A350, so, technically, yes, you'd be taking sharper pictures with the A350 than you would withthe A300.

Notice that the A350 is the least expensive Sony dSLR that you can buy without the kit lens. I think that's because Sony recognizes that saddling the A350 with the kit lens is a waste.

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
CZ lens's would be a dream (and just that) so the most I would ever be able to upgrade to is about what I mentioned and maybe a more powerful tele waayyyy later on (years). I haven't even looked into anything past the kit 55-200mm lens yet/ accept for the Minolta 70-210. Onething I know I'll like better is bright lens's (my oly spoiled me there).
I know what you mean. I'm also a big fan of large apertures and available light. And while I'm pleased that I can use Zeiss lenses on my camera, I can't imagine that I'll ever own one, so I don't dwell on it.

While the Sony 55-200 is a nice lens, it's not very fast, so I'm not interested. I have the Beercan and love it, but I'm looking at the Sigma & Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses because I'd like the shallower depth of field that the larger aperture provides.

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
LOL, I'm almost ready to make that 'BIG' purchace.:O Money doesn't come fast when disabled so I want to make sure I'm making the 'right' decision; I can't afford mistakes.
I'd like to take a step back, and say that 10MP is plenty. I'm quite happy with the results I'm getting from my Beercan, my Tamron 17-50/2.8, my 50/1.7, my 135/2.8 and my 6MP Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. If your choice comes down to an A300 and good lenses or an A350 and inferior lenses, get the A300. If your choice comes down to the A300 today or the A350 in six months, get the A300.

And if you don't need the 'Live View', get the A200.

The mistake is compromising when you don't have to.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote