Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 2, 2008, 6:01 AM   #21

Hi. Guys....

Thank you so much... I didn't know about all these post. I have to check my email, maybe they are going into the spam.... Actually, I just wrote to Jim to ask about some f2.8 camera lens and I am trying to get the F56am Sony flash but they have a newer one which is a F58am.. Still it is alot of money and it is making my head spin... But I will try some of things you have suggested and also look into the the flash :]... Thank you guys again for all your help.. As for the web well, I pretty much touch up all the photo's but they will later be used in the yearbook for print and also for posters so I was looking into that noise reduction software but I forgot what it was called but it was pretty cheap... Whoever knew they made sofware just for that...
minieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:45 AM   #22
Administrator

minieb wrote:
Quote:
Actually, I just wrote to Jim to ask about some f2.8 camera lens and I am trying to get the F56am Sony flash but they have a newer one which is a F58am..
I just saw your PM. All of the lenses you sent me links to except for one won't work.

The lenses you were looking at are MC/MD mount (manual focus) lenses. That's a different lens mount compared to what your Sony Alpha uses. Your Alpha can use any Minolta Autofocus lens (a.k.a,. Minolta A mount, Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha mount), not older MC/MD mount lenses.

Minolta changed to an Autofocus lens mount 23 years ago in 1985. The older MC/MD mount lenses won't work (at least not without an adapter, which has some drawbacks).

Quote:
As for the web well, I pretty much touch up all the photo's but they will later be used in the yearbook for print and also for posters so I was looking into that noise reduction software but I forgot what it was called but it was pretty cheap...
I don't know about "posters"... It will be tough to get the quality needed for larger prints shooting night sports without a *significant* investment in equipment (i.e., camera capable of higher usable ISO speeds, brighter lenses that are long enough to fill the frame more with your subjects, etc.). A powerful flash may help out.

As for noise reduction software, there are some free solutions available. For example, the "Community Edition" of Noiseware is free (not just a trial). Scroll down on this download page and you'll find it:

http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx

The Neat Image Trial version is also free for home use and doesn't expire:

http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

These don't have all of the functionality of their other versions. For example, they don't have all of the customization of the other versions available, and they don't retain your camera settings in the output files. But, they should get you started and do a good job in many cases. Keep the settings for noise reduction as light as possible for the desired viewing/print sizes (as noise reduction software will reduce detail).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote