Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:57 PM   #1

Im trying to add onto my very small collection (1 lens haha), I just have the 18-70 kit lens, I just ordered the Tamron 70-300 today, but for my next lens I'm really wanting a Macro lens. Sony offers the 50mm and the 100mm, what would you choose and why? not necessarily sony but probably 50 or 100mm, unless you can advise something better.

Thanks
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2

Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a macro lens, you could try out extension tubes on the lens(es) you have. Extension tubes are available in sets or individually.

See http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

The set of 12mm, 20mm, & 36mm Kenko extension tubes goes for $169 at Adorama, and the 12mm and 25mm tubes go for $59 and $69 respectively. (Stay away from the Pro Optic brand.)

These are also frequently available used for a lot less.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 1:35 AM   #3

I didn't know such a thing existed, Thanks! Sounds like a much cheaper route for sure and still getting the same job done.

I think I will go that route...
Old Aug 23, 2008, 1:15 AM   #4

I was viewing some macro lens photos and saw these pics that were taken using the Minolta AF 3x-1x 1.7-2.8 Macro. Could I get these kind of results without buying a $1500 macro lens? I would love to get pics like that.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17070
Old Aug 23, 2008, 8:08 AM   #5

Most "Macro" lenses only get to 1:2 magnification. That's .5x magnification.

Macro lenses get to 1:1 magnification. That makes the image on the sensor the same size as the subject.

Instead of ending at 1:1, the Minolta AF 3x-1x 1.7-2.8 Macro is just getting started. It goes from 1:1 to 3:1, where the image on the sensor is three times the size of the subject. It is a very capable lens, one of the finest of its kind ever produced (and that price if $1,500 must have been quite some time ago.)

You could do better than 1:1 by putting extension tubes on a macro lens.

The following is an uncropped reduction of a shot I took with my KM5D, Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro with the 'Life Size' (1:1) attachment, and a 25mm and a 12mm extension tube. That's the Macro-est I can do.
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:21 AM   #6

You will see "Macro" applied to lenses that have a ratio of 1:4 so read the fine print if you are looking for better than that.

Another option is add-on lenses that fit like filters on your current lens. Any time extra glass is added you have a chance of quality reduction, and there are various degrees of quality.

The below was shot with an add-on lens at about 1:2

Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:32 AM   #7

I just dida little more playing around and found that I can also stick in a teleconverter to get some more magnification. Something on the order of 3.5:1!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 1:25 PM   #8

3.5:1 sweet! How does the addition of the teleconverter affect the quality?
Old Aug 23, 2008, 3:07 PM   #9

firstascent wrote:
Quote:
3.5:1 sweet! How does the addition of the teleconverter affect the quality?
The lens by itself is pretty good, and the TC has worked well for me on other lenses. I was just playing around handheld. I wouldn't want to steer you in any particular direction based on my preliminary results.

I will say that, with the extension tubes and the teleconverter, the viewfinder was getting pretty dim. Therein lies the strength of the Minolta AF 3x-1x 1.7-2.8 Macro.