Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:38 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Hi, its been a long time after my first post. Just traveling too much in Florida :blah:
First I have to say think you again to JimC and I did learn my lesson for him.
Now let's back to the topic
I shoot some pictures last Tuesday with IRON CHEF Sakai San in one of our restaurant location in Pembroke Pines for food workshop. The indoor lighting was horrible and I have to use flash for that. Now my question is I took all of those pictures with 3 different lenses ( use jpg because I am 120 miles away from home and the traffic are so back in the morning and I leave most of my stuffs at home-etc. good glasses and large CF cards)
Those are the pics I took ( sorry I don't know how to attach multiple pics at once ) this is the 24-105 on A300 full manual:http://picasaweb.google.com/chefkenn...ushiOm08192008
http://picasaweb.google.com/chefkenn...ushiOm08192008
Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2008, 4:59 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Chefkenny wrote:
Quote:
Hi, its been a long time after my first post. Just traveling too much in Florida :blah:
First I have to say think you again to JimC and I did learn my lesson for him.
Now let's back to the topic
I shoot some pictures last Tuesday with IRON CHEF Sakai San in one of our restaurant location in Pembroke Pines for food workshop. The indoor lighting was horrible and I have to use flash for that. Now my question is I took all of those pictures with 3 different lenses ( use jpg because I am 120 miles away from home and the traffic are so back in the morning and I leave most of my stuffs at home-etc. good glasses and large CF cards)
Those are the pics I took ( sorry I don't know how to attach multiple pics at once ) the lenses I used on A300 are : 24-105, 28-85,50/1.7
http://picasaweb.google.com/chefkenn...ushiOm08192008

I have the following lineup:
200/4
100/2.8 macro
50/2.8 macro ( no shown in the pics)
135 /2.8 ( new bought not in pic )
100/2.8 soft ( new bought not in the pic )
50/1.7
28/2.8 ( selling )
35-70/4 ( selling )
28-75 /2.8D
beer can ( try selling )
big beer can ( try selling )
100-200 /4.5 ( selling )
24-85 /3.5-4.5 ( new bought, selling )
28-105 /3.5-4.5 ( new bought, selling )
100-400 apo
This is the pic of some lens I got: http://picasaweb.google.com/chefkenn...19509679812898

Now my question is for in door food shooting I need something between 75-125 range. And for groups I think my 28-75 /2.8 D and my 50/1.7 should be OK.
So I need suggestions for choosing a good lens to go with, I am not happy with the 24-85 and the 28-105.
Thanks
Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Sigma is supposed to be releasing a 50-150mm f/2.8, and Sigma and Tamron will both be releasing a 70-200mm f/2.8 shortly (probably at Photokina next month.)

They are already available for the Canon and Nikon mounts and seem to be good. They might be what you're looking for.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 5:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Thanks, the lenses I used for this even just no sharp and bright enough too stood out( I am not supposed to use flash on that ) , it might be my problem not the lens but... I think Dyxum may be over rate those lenses. I feel my 28-75/2.8 D are 100 times better than 24-85 and 28-105 at any setting:-)

Thanks again for the lenses info and I think nobody know when will they hit the US market?

Best


Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

Chefkenny wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, the lenses I used for this even just no sharp and bright enough too stood out( I am not supposed to use flash on that ) , it might be my problem not the lens but... I think Dyxum may be over rate those lenses. I feel my 28-75/2.8 D are 100 times better than 24-85 and 28-105 at any setting:-)
You need large aperture lenses. As good as those lenses are, f/3.5-4.5 isn't large enough to do what you want.

Chefkenny wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for the lenses info and I think nobody know when will they hit the US market?
Those lenses have been pre-announced for quite some time now. Photokina, the largest photography industry trade show in the world,is the first week of September. They'll probably release them for that.

You also mentioned that you have the 100/2.8 macro and the 135/2.8. Did you have a chance to try them?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:50 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Hi, yes. I did but not all restaurants I taking care of have the same space for me to move around and that's why I think if I can have something allow me to adjust between 75-105 ( it doesn't sound a big diffrent to most people, but for me that is a big gap between those restaurants I work.) I love the 135/2.8 and 100/2.8 both macro and soft but as you know you can only backup so much:?. That's why.....

Thank you so much for the suggestion.


Best




Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 8:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

f/2.8 is as large an aperture as you're going to find in a zoom lens. If that won't do it, you may need to get a fixed forcal length lens with an f/2.0 aperture or better. For 'New' there's the 85mm f/1.4 and the 50mm f/1.4, and for used there's those plus the 100mm f/2.0 and the 50mm f/1.7. You can get something a little wider than you need, and crop.

Also, Sony is making noises like they will soon be broadening their line of lenses. If you can sit tight until Photokina, you and I might be pleasently surprised (but I'm not holding my breath.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 9:43 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 48
Default

Thanks, I have a 50/1.7; and will wait for Photokina.

Best
Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 PM.