Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:44 PM   #1

Does anyone know the trigger voltage limit for an A100. I have a set of old Photogenic PLO6 monolights (600ws) with a trigger voltage of 12v. I used these units in the past with a Hassleblad and a Maxxum 8000i with no problem. I would like to use them with my A100. I see Sony makes an adapter FA-ST1AM thathas voltage protection/reduction for use with high trigger voltages but at $150.00 I would just as soon buy an externaltilt head flash and trigger the strobes via the slave. the on camera flash will trigger the slave in some circumstances but not all. At any rate even if the A100 will handle 12v of trigger voltage I would still have to buy an adapter with apc syncto fit the Sony hotshoe. Or I could get a A700:-)!!
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:35 AM   #2
Administrator

It's at TTL level (you probably shouldn't use anything with a trigger voltage over around 6 or 7 volts via the A100 hotshoe).

You may want to get a radio trigger and see if that works OK. This one is supposed to work at 12 Volts or lower. So, it would be borderline.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...at=0&page=

If you look around, they have some other models that may be better suited for studio strobes.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=274

You'll also need an adapter to give your camera an ISO standard hotshoe. This one claims to have voltage protection built in. But, I'm not so sure I'd buy that (since most of those types of devices rely on an isolated circuit using a separate battery). So, you'll have to decide if this type of solution is safe, if you want to try using it with your strobes directly attached (it's got both an ISO standard hotshoe and a PC Sync Port built in).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

Note that this is a reputable hong kong based vendor (and it takes around 10 days to ship to the U.S.)

The Sony hotshoe to pc sync port adapter is probably the safest if you want to connect the strobes directly (it's just not cheap at around $150 now). You could also look into alternative products like the Wein Safe Sync line (they have voltage protected hotshoe adapters, inline adapters, etc).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:03 AM   #3
Administrator

Harleyguy wrote:
Quote:
Or I could get a A700:-)!!
That sounds like a good plan if budget permits. Or, just get the new A900 instead after it's launched. :-)

Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:09 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
the on camera flash will trigger the slave in some circumstances but not all.
That won't work unless you have a "digital aware" slave trigger designed to ignore preflashes. The built in flash will *always* use a preflash, regardless of your settings. So, your slaves will probably trigger on the preflash versus the main flash (meaning that they won't contribute anything to the exposure).

If you want to use the on camera flash to trigger slaves, you'll need to get a "digital aware" slave trigger. Wein makes them.

Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:40 PM   #5

JimC wrote
Quote:
That won't work unless you have a "digital aware" slave trigger designed to ignore preflashes. The built in flash will *always* use a preflash, regardless of your settings. So, your slaves will probably trigger on the preflash versus the main flash (meaning that they won't contribute anything to the exposure).

That explains why my test exposures using the on camera flash to trigger the strobe slave resulted in a very under exposed shot. Thanks all, for the info I'll go check out the items mentioned to see if I can get this to work without spending a lot of money.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:20 AM   #6
Administrator

A cheap way to do it would be to buy a used, non-dedicated flash to trigger your strobes (versus radio triggers, "digital aware" optical triggers designed to ignore a preflash, etc.). With a non-dedicated flash, you won't have a preflash. Then, just use one of the Auto ranges on the flash, or use it's manual power settings.

For example, I got a little Sunpak 222 Auto for only $7 at http://www.keh.com a while back (and they even threw in a nice coiled pc cord with it). I got a larger Sunpak 333 Auto for only $25 from the used dept. at http://www.bhphotovideo.com a while back (and it was like new in the box with manual). Non-dedicated flash models are very inexpensive on the used market now. Just make sure any flash you get has a relatively low trigger voltage.

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Then, use a hotshoe adapter so you have an ISO standard hotshoe to mount the flash in, or connect it via the PC port in the adapter instead, provided you get a flash that has one like my Sunpak 222 and Sunpak 333 do.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=275

Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:04 AM   #7
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
For example, I got a little Sunpak 222 Auto for only $7 at http://www.keh.com a while back (and they even threw in a nice coiled pc cord with it).
They've got one for $5 now (of course, they'll charge shipping on top of it driving up the price some). lol

Sunpak 222 Auto for $5 at keh.com

Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the info Jim. Actually I have a bunch of old minolta flashes including a 4000AF and an old 132 x or px as I recall. Both have a bounce head which would work well for tripping a slave and not really affecting the exposure. I was reading somewhere last night that minolta has an adapter that will mate some old minolta flashes like the 4000AF to i and xi series cameras, plus the article I was reading said it would also work with Minolta and Sony digitals. That adapter (FS1100) ran around $50.00 to $100.00 new and are somewhat hard to find however.I just ran across the KM FS 1100 used for $25.00 at an online vendor I think I'll go with that one.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:42 PM   #9
Administrator

All an FS1100 does is give you an ISO standard hotshoe. There are no electronics (it's just a hard wired adapter), and there is no communication with the camera except for triggering an external flash.

The FS1100 does not provide any voltage isolation either. It was designed to let users of the older flash models work on the newer Maxxum i series cameras when Minolta changed to the new hotshoe design with the Maxxum 7000i, etc. (not to allow them to work on a newer digital camera properly without regard to trigger voltage, etc.). So, make sure you use a flash with low trigger voltage with one (again, it's just a hard wired adapter designed to give you an ISO standard hotshoe). For example, If your 132 is a 132px, it's trigger voltage may be too high (20-30 volts per one report I see). The 132x is lower.

That's the same thing the adapters I mentioned from Gadget Infinity do. If you look at their description, they're labeled as FS1100 because they do the same thing as the Minolta FS1100. The benefit of the third party adapters is that you get an ISO standard hotshoe *and* a PC Sync Port (the Minolta FS1100 only gives you an ISO standard hotshoe).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=275

I've got one of the cheaper ones. I like it since I can trigger a hotshoe mounted flash and a PC Cord attached flash at the same time. I've used my Sunpak 333 Auto and 222 Auto that way with it on my Maxxum 5D.

Build quality is probably better with the Minolta compared to the cheaper one I've got. But, I haven't had any problems at all with mine (I've got the one gadget infinity is selling for $10.95 now), and I like having a PC Sync Port for use with my KM 5D (which the Minolta FS1100 doesn't give you).

Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:48 PM   #10

I ordered an used FS 1100 from B&H for $25.00 I thought I would give it a shot. I think I'll check the trigger voltages on all the old minolta flashes I have. I also have some really small after market flashes I'll check them also it will give me something to do this weekend. I've been on a bunch of websites in the last few days it's hard to remember which ones. One site had a long list of various brands of flashes with their trigger voltages listed. I think Ill go back and try to find it, however to be on the safe side I'll do my own checks. I've got a number of hot shoe adapters with pc sync plugs that I can hook up my old flashes to but none of those have the proprietary 4 pin arrangement. the one Minolta off camera shoe that I have that has the minolta 4 pin array only has a fitting for the dedicated cable. I think I also have a Minolta dedicated flash bracket that worked with the 4000AF. I used to pick up this stuff at my old photo c lub's annual auctions even though I usually didn't need the stuff.