Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1

Im going to a friends wedding in about a week and a half and I'm thinking about bringing along the trusty camera. I only have 2 lenses right now, the kit lens and the tamron 70-300, so I'm wondering how the kit lens would do for taking these shots. the wedding will be indoor and I would assume somewhat low light. I know the kit lens isn't the greatest for this but its all I have to work with for now until I buy another lens.

The photos would just be for fun, I wasn't asked to take pics or anything just figured it would be a good experience to try out.
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:44 AM   #2

As you say, the kit lens is dim, plus the built-in flash isn't great. You may get some good shots, and more important, you'll learn what to do next time.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:37 PM   #3

Try cranking up the ISO - and do a bit of shooting high ISO before the wedding to get a feel for how far you can carry it. Keep in mind that you are not likely to enlarge many of the photos beyond snapshot size so high ISO is likely to be just fine for that use. Just remember to turn it back down when you have good light.

I don't like flash and seriously despise the built in flash. I would much rather have a noisy picture than one with nasty shadows and glare. YMMV
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 9:45 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Just remember to turn it back down when you have good light.
Last week I was playing with high ISO settings and I forgot to change it back and the next day I probably shot 50 or so climbing pics at ISO1600 on a nice sunny day lol.

But thanks for the advice, I will practice with some high ISO settings and see how far I can take it without losing too much quality.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Depending on the lighting you might get some OK shots without flash, but I doubt it. Using flash will help a lot but as has been said very few in built flash units give nice results. The best results are generally from a bounced flash, I usually try to use the ceiling where possible.

Anyway, back to you, you can try high ISO but your shutter speed will be really low. The only lens that might enable you to do non flash indoor shooting is something like the 50mm f1.7 or similar.

So with what you have go for the flash and the 18-70, still increase the ISO to say 800 so you capture the ambient light in the shot.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:06 PM   #6

thanks Mark, I have actually been debating on whether to get the Sony 50mm 1.4 or a similar used minolta.. I've been wanting to get a prime lens but was in no rush but this could be a good opportunity for one. Except now my only choice would be to get the Sony locally as opposed to something used since the wedding is this Sunday, which means more money lol. I guess I'll see if I can round up $350 for the Sony.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

It's a tough decision and will depend where you want your photography to go in the future as getting a flash could be more beneficial as it can be used in many situations with all lenses. I use my 50/85mm prime lenses only when I can't use flash and light is low, but the flash gets used pretty often.

Food for thought!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:35 PM   #8

hmmm... That's a good point, I didn't think about that. Do you think a low-mid range flash would suffice? I know I'm not ready to spend $500 on a flash quite yet.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:58 PM   #9

the 1.4 is NOT worth 2-4 times the price of the 1.7

the 1.7 will be 70mm equivalent - perfect for indoor use

just remember - at f1.7 you have little to no DOF

try shooting iso 400 - f2.8-4 - 1/60s

MANUAL FOCUS !
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:20 PM   #10

who would you recommend for the 1.7? Minolta? I believe that one got good reviews...