Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:45 AM   #1

I'm thinking of saving up for this lens ,yes its expensive but just wondering if anyone has any knowldge/ experiences with this lens, and also if there is a comparable lens?
Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:53 AM   #2
Administrator

The Sony 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SSM G is designed to be a "best in class" lens, and it appears they've succeeded in that. You can read a review of it here:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-s...ony_70300_4556

This lens generated a lot of controversy in some of the Sony/Minolta forums around when it was first announced, since Minolta had always used the "G" designation for their premium glass; and the perception was that a lens this dim (down to f/5.6 on it's long end) would not live up to that label, since it's no brighter than the $200 budget lens in this market niche.

But, it does appear to be a very sharp lens if you're looking for something in that range, and don't need a brighter lens for lower light use.

BTW, it's a good idea not to put anything you want forum viewers to see on the second subject line when starting a new thread. Due to a quirk with the wowBB forums software design, that line is not visible to readers, unless you're looking at the list of threads in a specific forum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 4:01 AM   #3

Thanks Jim for the information and tip on forum procedures.
I do like sharpness and clarity in photography but you can never predict lighting, so I will need to think and research carefullywhat I need and what compromises I'm willing to make to obtain that all round "perfect lens":?
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote