Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 8, 2008, 2:38 PM   #1

Just wondering if anyone had any advice on a good all around lens for the a300 or a350. Yes, I know that I'll do better with a small number of more specific lenses, but what I really need at this point in life is a good, all-around piece of glass. I've been looking at the Sony SAL18250 Alpha DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ($550).

Also considering:

Sony SAL18200 ($500)
Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD ($280)
Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 AF Di-II LD ($500).

Anyone have any input on these or any other lens? Wide angle more important than zoom, but would like to have a decent zoom. Image quality paramount, but again I'm pretty committed to a single-lens solution at this point.

Thanks!
JakeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 3:03 PM   #2

Read these:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=313

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=192

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hope they help you.

feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:36 PM   #3

The Sony 18-200 and the Tamron 18-200 are identical.

The Sony 18-250 and the Tamron 18-250 are identical except the Sony has a faster autofocus gearing.

The 18-250 is the best superzoom lens available. If you really want a superzoom, the Sony 18-250 is the one to get.

But for less money, two lenses with less ambitious zoom ranges will give better image quality. And with the money you save, you can get a flash, or a special purpose lens (perhaps the Minolta 50mm f/1.7.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I'm really torn. Excited about getting back into SLR after several years of point and shoot. Never super proficient with photography, but I know the basics. I really like the idea of a single lens that can stay on the camera for most everything I would want to do any time soon, but with baby on the way, an 50mm f/1.7 is very appealing. One of these days I'll actually decide...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:39 PM   #5

I'll follow up by saying that the 14MP A350 is a lot sharper than the 18-250. If you decide to get a superzoom lens, don't waste your money on the A350.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 11:26 AM   #6

Jake,

I have the A700. I have 2 older Minolta zooms that I use with it. A Minolta 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 and a Minolta 70-210 f/3.5-4.5. They seem to be a bit faster than many of the zooms/kit lens that are sold today. I am pretty happy with the results so far.

But I did also just purchase the Sony 18-250 DT lens. Here's why-I'm going on vacation next week to Hawaii, and then next month to Mexico. I really like the idea of having one walk around lens that will cover all the range of my 2 Minolta lenses.

Yes, I know I'm giving up some speed and probably a little sharpness with the 18-250. But for the convenience of taking one lens, it is worth it. I used the microsoft 'Live" feature and ordered from J&R. I think it was a 12% cash back, taking the final price down to about $470.

Here's a shot I took this weekend.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

robintrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:50 AM   #7

Thanks for the input, those who responded. As it turns out, I think I've convinced myself back to a Canon. Thought I had convinced myself of the a300/350, but decided the range of accessories for the XSi, and my familiarity with Canons in general, trumps the few Sony-specific features I was interested in--primarily their live view implementation and the tilty LCD. Thanks again for the help.