Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:32 AM   #1
Administrator

Sony Introduces Its First Full-Frame dSLR

Sept. 9, 2008 - Sony is introducing its full-frame α (alpha) DSLR-A900 camera, aimed at serious photo enthusiasts looking for traditional SLR performance with the added benefits of digital photography.

It is designed to deliver ultra-fine picture quality with the world's highest resolution, 24.6-megapixel, 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor and fast image processing with a new dual BIONZ processing engines. The camera is also the first to have a body-integrated image stabilization system for a full-frame sensor with Sony's SteadyShot Inside anti-shake system.

One look at the camera's distinctive pentaprism and nostalgic body design will evoke its full-frame optical performance. It features a bright, clear optical viewfinder with 100% field of view coverage that would impress even film photography loyalists.

"The α (alpha) DSLR-A900 introduction solidifies Sony's position as a leading camera manufacturer that can meet the demands of serious enthusiasts," said Phil Lubell, director of digital camera marketing at Sony Electronics. "It represents the best in sensor and image processing technologies and offers enhanced functions, performance and reliability so photographers can push their creativity to the limit."

Read the full press release here

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2008, 9:50 AM   #2
Administrator

P.S.

Make sure to see the lens anouncements, too (Vario Sonnar T* 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Carl Ziess, and Sony 70-400mm f/4-5.6G).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:46 PM   #3

Hats off to Sony for finally getting in the full frame game. One might wonder, though, if it's too little, too late. I adore the built-in anti-shake like my beloved, antique 7D and the eye-popping 24.6 MP is sure to attract the megapixel crowd. (Though, how good do the lenses need to be for all those pixels?)

Still, I expected more. Nikon's choice of fewer pixels and higher sensitivity is sure to encourage debate. And the 5 fps shutter mechanism simply isn't competitive today. In fairness, with 25 MP to process and deposit in the flash card, this ISN'T a sports camera.

Every dog has his day, and Nikon's latest cameras are impressive technical achievements, IMHumbleO. Sony's ongoing fascination with button-select menu items (push the botton, spin the dial) rather than the sit-and-spin settings of the 7D leave me wanting. It's an unfilled personal desire, particularly since I'm shooting with Canon's awful menu system now.

I suspect when all is said and done, this will be enthusiastically embraced by prosumer customers with extra dollars in their wallets and Minolta/Sony glass in their packs. But I doubt it will dent the professional market. Yet.

Nice work, Sony. Keep going. I can't wait to read reviews from those of you who get to play with the new camera.
rsturgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4

Found a test between canon EOS 1D mark 3 and A900:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA900/AA900A.HTM

Field testA900 and Canon 1DMIII: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re.../a900-nr.shtml

A900 - D3 An enduser ( Mal)comments to this postabout stabilisation and resolution benefits Plus a testshot: http://www.slashgear.com/sony-alpha-...noise-0915737/

a Comment: VRII Nikon lenses have the same image stabilisation as Sony's, But.... for VRII to work, you will need to buy NEW lenses not?? While Sony has all it's stabilisation in it's body. What's better? you descide....

http://www.nikond700.com/2008/09/son...00-competitor/

Quick overview of all Fullframes and it'sgeneral featurescompared to A900:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/So.../verdict.shtml
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 3:02 PM   #5

I am was thinking if Fullframe camera are able to let you lower the megapixel and let a few pixels join together to make a ' bigger' pixel...

If that's possible to implement with A900 sensor and software...then it would be a good ..12MegaPixel with a very good dynamic range not?

Or wishfull thinking?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 8:12 PM   #6

feetjai wrote:
Quote:
I am was thinking if Fullframe camera are able to let you lower the megapixel and let a few pixels join together to make a ' bigger' pixel...

If that's possible to implement with A900 sensor and software...then it would be a good ..12MegaPixel with a very good dynamic range not?

Or wishfull thinking?
i dont think any digital camera is capable of combining pixels ?:?no its not a sports camera.its a studio camera for fine detail like magazine shoots,industrial,fashon..about the same quality as a medium digital backed camera with 30 mps!
scooptdoo is offline   Reply With Quote