Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:13 AM   #1

hey all,

so some of you know I have the A300 and so far love it, one of the main reasons I wanted it was because of the live view and tiltable LCD screen which I thought I would use more than I do because of using point and shoot camera so much before.

Anyways, Im considering selling the A300 and purchasing the A700. Now, the A700 is more camera than I really need right now and photography is just a fun hobby to me. But how I look at is I would rather have the nicer of 2 things if sometime in the near future I will use it to its full ability (or try to) than to have something Im going to outgrow and have to end up purchasing the A700 later on anyway. Now if Im going to get the A700 I feel now would be the time because selling the A300 now would be better than later since its still basically new. its only been a month.

Sooo, thoughts, opinions, suggestions etc..

Thanks!
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:11 AM   #2

The A700 price just dropped $200, so now is probably a good time to buy (it's not likely that the price will drop again anytime soon.

But since the A300 is still available new, now is probably not a good time to sell it. The KM5D was $600 new 3 years ago, and still sells for $400. A used A300 would have to go for a similar price in order to convince someone not to just buy a new one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:43 AM   #3
Administrator

Where are you seeing a limitation with your existing camera?

If you're not getting the image quality you need from your A300, I'd probably figure out why and work on that part versus upgrading the body, unless the body is limiting you in some way. Often, investing money in better lenses or an external flash is a better bet instead of upgrading the body (but, only if you have a real limitation with your lenses, as I wouldn't assume an upgrade is going to help for everything).

The A700 does offer some benefits like better Autofocus, a larger viewfinder, a faster frame rate if you need it, and more Dynamic Range Optimization settings. It also has some other features that may come in handy for some shooting conditions, as well as higher usable ISO speeds. You'll have to decide if those things are going to benefit your results or not.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:42 AM   #4

Thanks guys,

thats a good point about selling the A300 right now TCav.

JimC - well currently I don't really have any limitations on the A300 and I am still learning everything. I would like a little better quality with high ISO and the faster fps would be great for action shots. I would like the faster autofocus especially in low light conditions. Mainly Im just trying to think ahead. I feel sometime soon Im going to wish I had some of the extra features of the A700.

Basically it came down to this... Do I need the A700 right now? I don't think so. Will I need or use its extra features in the near future? I think I will.

So thats why Im considering just getting the A700

also, If I did get the A700 which kit do you think would be best. I could get just the body but then I would only have my tamron 70-300 which wouldn't be the best all around lens. then there is the a700 with the standard kit 18-70 lens which would give me the wider focal length that the tamron doesn't have. OR there is the A700 with the 18-200 lens which would be nice. That kit is a good deal because you are getting $300 off of that lens with the kit but is it worth it? from what ive read the sony 18-200 is just OK.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Administrator

firstascent wrote:
Quote:
JimC - well currently I don't really have any limitations on the A300 and I am still learning everything. I would like a little better quality with high ISO and the faster fps would be great for action shots. I would like the faster autofocus especially in low light conditions.
Keep in mind that your lenses have a big impact on those things, too. If you're using dim lenses, the camera's AF sensors can't "see" as well to focus. Also, with a dimmer lens, you have to use higher ISO speed settings to get the same shutter speed you could get with a brighter lens at a lower setting.

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:29 AM   #6
Administrator

firstascent wrote:
Quote:
also, If I did get the A700 which kit do you think would be best. I could get just the body but then I would only have my tamron 70-300 which wouldn't be the best all around lens. then there is the a700 with the standard kit 18-70 lens which would give me the wider focal length that the tamron doesn't have. OR there is the A700 with the 18-200 lens which would be nice. That kit is a good deal because you are getting $300 off of that lens with the kit but is it worth it? from what ive read the sony 18-200 is just OK.
The 18-200mm is not a lens that I would want to use.

I wouldn't waste your money buying a better camera body if you're not going to be putting better lenses than that on it.

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:45 AM   #7

thanks JimC - both very good points. eventually I would like to get some CZ glass but in time that will come as well.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Administrator

You don't need the best glass available. But, that's a very low quality lens (almost any cheap modern zoom with a more reasonable zoom range from a major manufacturer would probably out perform it in most areas). You can't expect a lens with that much focal range from wide to long to be able to give you great results in all conditions. Too many compromises have to be made to keep the size and weight down, resulting in higher than desirable corner softness, distortion, etc.

If you really want an "all in one" lens, look at the newer 18-250mm (Sony or Tamron). It's a much better quality lens compared to the older 18-200mm. But, don't expect it to perform as well as many other lenses, either. It's a compromise for people that want the convenience a lens like that provides, versus higher quality lenses with a less ambitious focal range from wide to long.

Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:07 PM   #9

ok well that was quick, I gave in and just got back from buying the A700. I love the feel of it so far. charging the battery and then time to play with it. Can't wait!

JimC again thanks for the info on the lenses. I know I don't need the BEST glass out there, I ended up buying the A700 kit with the 18-70 lens. I know there are much better lenses out there but I wanted something in that focal range until Im able to purchase something better which may be a month or so. Ive been looking at the 16-105mm lens from Sony. reviews are decent and it sounds like a great focal range. But im not sure yet, still have many lenses to review.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:36 PM   #10
Administrator

Congrats on the A700. I think you'll like the camera.

As for the 18-70mm, it's priced low enough so that it makes a good lens to experiment with so that you get a better undersrtanding of what limitations you're running into without spending much up front, which will help you make better informed decisions on lenses later.

As for the 16-105mm, it hasn't tested real great on MTF charts, etc. But, it seems to do well for most uses from what I can see in reviews like this one:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...%20-A700.shtml