Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Hello all,

I bought a Sony A300 a couple of weeks ago. However, I'm not sure if there is a problem with the camera or not. The LiveView is VERY blurry. It's considerably blurry in normal light, and nearly impossible to see at all in low light. Now, I realize that LiveView is still a developing technology, but is it supposed to be THAT bad? I'm trying to figure out whether or not it's normal, or I got a defective camera.

BTW, the photos are excellent....sharp & clear, even for a novice like me. In playback mode, the display is sharp & clear.

Thanks for your advice!

sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:01 PM   #2

Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Did you buy it from a local retailer?

Is there a SonyStyle Store in your area?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:05 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Did you buy it from a local retailer?

Is there a SonyStyle Store in your area?
Hi TCav, and thanks for the reply. I bought it from Amazon, and from what I understand, they're pretty good with returns.

Honestly, I'm glad to hear it's probably a defect, because I was SO disappointed in the LiveView quality.

Nope, no SonyStyle store near here...just an employee store by their big TV factory that's a few miles from me.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Are you sure you're letting the camera focus so that you're not seeing an out of focus image in your display? If you half press the shutter button, the camera will Autofocus.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Administrator

If the camera is focused on your subject and the image is still out of focus, it could be an out of alignment Live View sensor or some other defect causing it. I'd compare it to a demo camera in a store so you can see what yours is doing differently.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2008, 12:41 PM   #6

Thanks JimC. Yes, I'm only pushing the shutter button half-way until it focuses. The LiveView is so blurry, I can't really tell much of a difference on the display. But, the photos themselves are great.

None of the stores near me have the A300, but the local Ritz does have the A350. I only played around with it for a few minutes (a couple of weeks before I actually bought my A300), but I can't remember there being any issue with the LiveView.

I'm still well within the return window for Amazon, so I'm going to go ahead and return it, and get a new one. Hopefully it will be better.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:46 AM   #7

IMO, Sony has one of the best LV implementations out there. I can't think of any possible setting that may be causing such a problem. Since you bought it from Amazon (make sure it was sold by Amazon and not by a different retailer), you can login to your Amazon account, find the purchase and print a return label (with the RMA). If you indicate that the return is due to a defect, they will pay for shipping and will send you a replacement. Actually, if you call them, they will send you a replacement right away, even before you send the defective camera back. You can then wait until you receive the new camera and make sure it works OK. Then, you send the defective back. The trick is to print the return label before the 30 period expires.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote