Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:35 PM   #1

I'm getting the sony a300 pretty soon and i found a deal where the camera comes with a 18-70mm lens and an additonal 55-200mm lens. With price comparison the difference is $100 and i get the additional lens. My question is, is this lens worth getting? So i really dont know if i evenneed an additional lens right now because this will be my 1st dslr. If its a great deal then why not but thats where the question comes up. On amazon they have a tamron 75-300mm autofocus lens for $129 so is this a better deal then getting the additonal 55-200mm one with the kit??

I'm basically shooting the kids playingand some nature stuff.

Since i'm a beginner should i forget about an additonal lens alltogether for now until i know exactly what i need and put the $ i saved now toward a better lens later on?

What would you do, keeping in mind that i am on a budget?

Thank you.
Debbie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:38 PM   #2

First, the good Tamron 70-300 isn't available for $129. The good Tamron 70-300 is the Di LD and it goes for about $160 at Adorama.com and more at Amazon.

Second, the Sony 55-200 is also a Tamron lens. Sony rebrands a number of Tamron lenses. The Sony 11-18, 18-200, and 18-250 are also Tamron lenses.

Third, all indications are that they are both good lenses. The 55-200 is about 2/3 the size and about 2/3 the weight of the 70-300, and for $100 as part of the Sony kit, it's about 2/3 the cost as well.

The difference depends more onwhat you'll be shooting. For kids playing, either would be fine, but for organized outdoor sports (Baseball, Football, Soccer, etc.) the longer lens would be better. For wildlife, again, either would be fine, but the wilder the wildlife, the longer the lens the better.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:30 PM   #3

Thank you so much TCav for your response and sorry it took me so long to get back. It looks like i wont be needing a longer lens for now so its better for me to hold off for now and get a better lens than these 2 later on. Thank you again.
Debbie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:56 PM   #4

The Sony 70-300 G is the best of its kind for any camera, but it's $800.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote