Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:30 PM   #11

Thanks for all your input.I am on a tight budget, so I am looking to get used equipment. I plan on getting a decent flash new from Sony.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Estevan Montoya
estevanmontoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:08 PM   #12

Fast fixed focal length lenses are always a good idea, but sometimes, in confined spaces, zooming with your feet will be tough. That includes when you're going from table to table during the reception.

Also, the A700 is about at where the camera is better than the average lens. So to really take advantage of the A700, you'll need some good lenses, and they won't be cheap, used or not.

Perhaps you'd be better off with another A300 (or even an A200 if you can forego the 'Live View')so you can spend more on lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:54 PM   #13

What about getting the 350? It is 4 more megapixels. The main reason I want the 700 is because it is better at higher ISO's because of the exmor NR sensor.

Would the 200 be good if I shot in RAW? I dont know much about the 200. I really don't care about the liveview. So that might be an option.

I think this might be a good buy, and I'll sell the lens. I have the 17-80 lens already.
http://www.Filtered_Due_to_Spam/en/p...p?item_id=3293

And what about this lens?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-90mm-macro-F2-8-w-caps-hood-for-sony-minolta_W0QQitemZ320304028985QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem320304028985&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:15|240:1318 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Estevan Montoya
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:54 AM   #14

estevanmontoya wrote:
Quote:
What about getting the 350? It is 4 more megapixels. The main reason I want the 700 is because it is better at higher ISO's because of the exmor NR sensor.

Would the 200 be good if I shot in RAW? I dont know much about the 200. I really don't care about the liveview. So that might be an option.
The A350 is nice, and the same size and shape as the A300 you've already got, so you'll know where all the buttons and switches are. In fact, the A200, A300 and A350 are all built on a common frame, so when you switch from one camera to another, you won't have to rethink everything.

But what I said abut the A700 being better than most lenses applies to the A350 as well. So if you go with the A350, you should get some quality lenses to go with it. Also, the noise in the A350 is likely to be greater than in the A300. While Steve's review of the A350 mentions low noise, he didn't review the A300, so there's basis for comparison. And if you use a flash, you can dial down the ISO, and that might take care of your noise problem.

I don't know how other people feel about processing RAW, but I shoot equestrian sports, and I shootA LOT of photos, and the percentage of keepers depends as much (probably more)on the subject(s) as onme and my camera. I can't imagine the effort that might be required to process all those RAW files. But for wedding photography, you must have a high percentace of keepers, so maybe processing all those RAW files might be a worthwhile effort.

estevanmontoya wrote: That's a macro lens. Macro lenses have a longer focusing range and relatively slow autofocus gearing. Those areuseful for macrophotography, but for general use, macro lenses tend to focus slowly. That's probably not something you want to contend with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:08 PM   #15
Administrator

I'd get the A700. It's going to handle low light a bit better.

How tight is your budget? Get the best flash setup you can (HVL-F58AM or HVL-F56AM for starters).

Grab a used 50mm f/1.7 for around $150 or 50mm f/1.4 for around $250, and get a good f/2.8 zoom. I'd probably look at a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and Tamron or Sony 28-75mm f/2.8 for starters.

Then, when budget permits, get something like new Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for when you want something a bit longer (now in stock at some vendors for $699).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:17 PM   #16

There are issues that are as important as the choice of camera gear. Some of them are:
*- get a tux or whatever the bridal party is wearing so you blend in.
*- very comfortable shoes - you will be on your feet for a long time.
*- a good contract so everyone understand what is going to be done. Talk to a local lawyer.
*- talk to a local accountant. What camera gear can you write off? what taxes do you need to collect? An unhappy bride/mother-of-the-bride/... could report you to the tax authorities. So could a really nasty local photographer who does not like the competition.
*- talk to the priest/rabbi/preacher/... where the wedding is being held to find out what you are allowed to do.
*- get a list of what photos are to be taken. As an addendum to the contract?
*- have an assistant (perhaps someone in the bridal party) to chase folks for the group shots

*- have business cards to hand out
*- think about how you are going to deal with Uncle Fred who has a better camera then you do and has spend a bunch of time at the bar.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 1:33 PM   #17

I found this on ebay. Its used, but it comes with good lens and flash.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...id=p2759.l1259

EM
Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:08 PM   #18
Administrator

That flash is not compatible.

You can mount it, and the AF assist part will work. But, a Minolta 3000xi flash like that will always fire at full power on a dSLR. Only the newer Minolta flashes are going to work properly on digital (unless you use manual power settings, which is not available on the A350), because the older flash models won't understand the commands for firing the metering preflash and when to terminate the flash burst. Unlike older film cameras where you had off the film metering during a flash exposure, digital aware flash models use preflashes to determine the length of the main flash burst needed.

Here are the Minolta shoe mount flashes that work with digital.

2500 (D) - this one is really too weak to be practical for bouncing and doesn't have HSS.
3600 HS (D)
5600 HS (D)

I'd get a Sony HVL-F56AM (rebranded Minolta 5600) or even better, a Sony HVL-F58AM for professional work. These both have HSS (High Speed Sync), which could come in handy using a flash for fill outdoors. These models also have a higher GN for more flash range (which you'll want for bouncing).

Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:56 PM   #19

What about the camera body and lens? Is that a good deal?

EM
Old Sep 27, 2008, 3:19 PM   #20
Administrator

Well... checking prices at http://www.bhphotovideo.com , the body new would sell for $699, and the lens by itself would sell for $449, for a kit price of around $1,148. Of course, you'd be taking your chances buying used gear without a warranty, and you may decide that you'd be better off with an A700 for low light work.