Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:45 AM   #1

I got my a300 2 days ago and i noticed that my shots would be well lit in the camera but when i load it into my computer they seem much darker. Is this normal?

Is there a way to resolve this problem.

Thanks.
Debbie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:33 PM   #2

What's probably going on is that your monitor is misadjusted.

The best way to handle it is to install the ICC Color Profile for your monitor. Check the manufacturers website to see if they have one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:45 PM   #3

What do other folk's pictures look like on your computer? If they are about right most of the time, it is unlikely that your monitor's calibration is so far out to be the cause of the problem (calibration isn't a bad idea though).

Take a look at your camera's manual to see if there is a way to change the brightness setting on the LCD. Or if the camera has some sort of autobrightness feature. Also learn how to use the histogram - that is a much better measure of the exposure than looking at the LCD in any case.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:31 PM   #4

Thank you TCav i'm going to look into the icc profile for my computer but only some look dark, it might be just me. The indoor ones were looking darker so i think i was just taking them too dark. I turned down my lcd brightness and i turned on the histogram and things are looking better. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:32 PM   #5

BillDrew everyone elses pics look fine and I started using the histogram and i also lowered the brightness on my LCD. Things are starting to look better. I think i was taking them a bit too dark before, it was mostly the indoor ones that were looking dark. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Also learn how to use the histogram - that is a much better measure of the exposure than looking at the LCD in any case.
I have looked at the histogram, but it's all Greek to me.

Where might I find some information about how to interpret the information contained in a histogram??

Thanks
kgh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:56 AM   #7

Google is your friend - there is a lot of information about histograms out there. One good one is Michael Reichmann's on Luminous Landscapes at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...stograms.shtml.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote