Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1

I stumbled across some posts in other places today referencing a report by Mizuho Securities Equity Research. They produce a report detailing sales and market share for Tokyo companies. Sadly you have to subscribe to the report to view it so no links are provided. The interesting note was:

For 2nd quarter 2008, Sony has a 12% DSLR marketshare - I'm pretty sure the intent is worldwide market but it might be US.

Canon still leads with 40%+

Nikon with 30%

Olympus around 6% and Pentax, Sigma and others unmentioned.

It also noted that in some European markets, Sony market share approached 25%.

Of lesser note were comments about Sony and Oly operating their DSLR business at a loss. Some non-business people on the web make a bigger deall out of this than I think is necessary I think. I wouldn't expect Sony to start turning a profit on DSLRs for a few more years.

Still, interesting information.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 3:04 PM   #2

Interesting and a bit surprising considering all the difficulty Sony had had in the past few years...overheating batteries in computers. laying off quite a few (was it around 10,000) employees just a year or two ago.

I never even considered Sony when I was looking at a DSLR system about a year ago. I looked at Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus.

I didn't consider Sony as it is relatively new to DSLR- dom, even though they absorbed Konica-Minolta a few years ago .

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 9:16 PM   #3
NHL

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Of lesser note were comments about Sony and Oly operating their DSLR business at a loss. Some non-business people on the web make a bigger deall out of this than I think is necessary I think. I wouldn't expect Sony to start turning a profit on DSLRs for a few more years.
Well Sony is buying its way in at this time...

Even though Canon market share may still be number one, its lead is eroding from previous years at the expense of Sony though as Nikon seems to hold its own: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=58
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:10 PM   #4

It's actually quite hard to read the numbers. For example, for August 2006, this is what it looked like in Japan, for June/July 2006:

Japan Digital SLR Market Share by Unit Sales
Vendor July June
===============================
Canon 33.3% 51.6%
Nikon 27.4% 32.6%
Sony 21.6% 2.3%
Pentax 14.0% 7.6%
Olympus 2.8% 4.8%
Matsushita 0.8% 0.1% (Panasonic)

Looks like it fluctuates wildly.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote