Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:09 AM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
... It looks like Sigma will be offering it for Sony/Minolta mount. ...
Yes, the Sigma 50-150/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 for Sony (Minolta) (and Pentax) should be out RSN.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:34 PM   #12

I hate to thread jack but my questions have a lot to do with this thread. I am about to purchase an A300 but not sure which lens to get. I am looking at either the kit lens or the sony 16-105 or any other brand that is as good or better than these choices.

This will be my first D-SLR and I am by no means a photographer but hate the slow point and shoots. I have been using a borrowed Canon XTi and enjoy it but dont love the 18-55 range of that lens, but other than that I am enjoying the D-SLR experience. I think I may also take a photography course to gain knowlege and improve. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but that being said I am willing to upgrade the lens from the start.

I really would love to have a lens in the 16-100 range but it doesn't have to be.I was also thinking about getting the sony 70-300 (I think that is the range) as well or if you have any suggestions. This lens would probably not be used as much but I think a zoom lens like this is necessary.

Bottom line, should I go with the kit lens or spend a little more for the upgrade? I read some of the reviews of the sony 16-105 and one was not as great as I would have hoped while another was good. Is a Tamron or Sigma going to give me a nice improvement over the kit but cost less than the sony 16-105?

Thanks
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:04 AM   #13

Any of the lenses you mantioned are going to be better than the 18-70m kit lens. The 16-105 does not rate nearly as high as the 16-80 for iage quality, but it gives you the range you're wanting. Better yet, for range, is the Sony or Tamron (same lens) 18-250. Much better than the kit, but still not as good as the 16-80. Trade-offs.

I'm wanting to upgrade tooand have done A LOT of reading, but haven't yet decided which direction to go myself. The problem with some of the user rating are that they are subjective and you need to keep that in mind. Dyxum.com is an excellent resource for Sony/Minolta users, but again...somewhat subjective.

My thought is that if you can find a kit with the 16-105 it might be worth it given the $579 retail price of that lens. Do the math...you might get a great deal when you take into account the body-only price. If you can get that lens for a $300 upgrade I would say it's worth it. Especially when you figure you won't get much for the 18-70 if you try to sell it. Last I checked they were going for $50-75 on E-Bay.

I think I'm gonna save my pennies and go for the 16-80. No, the 18-250...definitely. Or maybe the Sigma 17-70! Ugh!!!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:21 AM   #14

I think from everything that I have read that I may go for the sigma 17-70. My feeling is that lens is going to be the better of the bunch and extremely affordable. I was thinking about the 18-250, but don't want a large lens as my regualar lens. I may just start saving my pennies for a good 70-200 or 300 g lens. If not the sigma then the zeis lens definately seems to be better than the 16-105.

On a side note...... was playing with the Nikon D90 at CC yesterday, very nice camera and lens. Too bad the live view is not as good as the sony's.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 5:50 PM   #15

Remember that the A300 is only available with the 18-70 kit lens. If you really don't want the kit lens, the A350 is the same camera with a 14MP image sensor instead of the A300's 10MP. The A350 body only costs $700, $100 more than the A300 with the kit lens, and is sometimes available for the same price.

The Sony 75-300 is not a very good lens. The Tamron 70-300 Di LD is a better lens, and it's cheaper.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:15 PM   #16

I like the 300 because from what I have read that sensor is extremely good(I thought I read that Nikon uses that sensor)and it is a little bit faster of a shooter than the 350. I have seen some internet sites with the body only as well as packaged with the 16-105 for the 300. Ineed aDSLR with a good live view so the wife can use the camera also, she does not like using the view finder. I can live with view finder only, but do think the live view and tiliting screen is a huge plus on the Sony's. Otherwise I think I would have jumped on the Nikon D90 bandwagon, I really like that camera but pretty pricey, sub par live view and the video recording is limited on it.

As for a zoom lense, I would definately save my money for either the Sigma or Tamron 70-200 2.8 lense. One of them lists for 699 and the other for a little over a g note. Or if I wanted to be a ballar, get one of the Sony G series zooms.

I think I have my primary lense narrowed down to two, maybe three. The Sigma 17-70, Sony CZ 16-80 and the last one considered would be the Tamron 17-50.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:08 PM   #17

The MSRP on the Sigma 70-200/2.8 is high, but the street price is $799. It seems the Tamron is optically better, but the Sigma has a faster, quieter autofocus motor. I'm looking at these two myself. My Beercan just has too much depth of field.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:51 PM   #18

Am I correct that the Sigma's have had QC issues with Sony Alpha's? Something about the AF motor breaking. Do you think this new 70-200 would solve that issue or would going with the Tamron be the safer bet? I don't remember which one but I saw HSM next to one of those but I thought that was for Nikons only. Also, do you know if the Sigma 17-70 has quality control issue swith the Alpha's? Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2008, 4:32 AM   #19

The QA issue (not QC) with some Sigmas is that the 70-300 APO, which uses the autofocus motor in the camera body, is stripping gears. The Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM for Pentax and Sony has it's own internal autofocus (HSM) motor, so it won't have that particular problem. And the only lens I've read that has that problem is the 70-300 APO. That doesn't mean that it won't happen with others, but the 70-300 APO is a popular lens, and possibly reports of the failure in other lenses just haven't occurred often enough to have gotten as much attention.