Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Hi with TCav help i purchased aused lens from ebayfor my a300. Its a very clean lens, no scratches or anything i can see but i'm a bit disappointed that the zoom is not smooth. Theres a little drag in it sometimes when i'm trying to turn it and when shooting in macro it gets a little frustrating. I just got the lens today so I only played with it a little and thought i'd come on here and as if there was any way to fix this problem.

Also i noticed with this lens i have to be pretty far back from the object for it to focus. I'm averaging that i'm about 2' away before it focuses. Is this a default or normal?

I'm attaching a few pics, 1st is zoomed all the way out, 2nd all the way in and 3rd macro. What do you think of the quality? These are all sooc. I'm just asking because i'm really new to the whole dslr thing and since it is a used lens...

Thank you.

Debbie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Debbie26 wrote:
Quote:
Also i noticed with this lens i have to be pretty far back from the object for it to focus. I'm averaging that i'm about 2' away before it focuses. Is this a default or normal?
That's normal with this lens. It's closest focus distance is shown as 100cm (1 meter or 39.4 inches). That works out to a maximum magnification of only 1:14.3. Scroll down in this table and you'll see the specs for it:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/l...php?lg=e#zooms

If you use the spring loaded macro switch, you can use manual focus to less than 12 inches, making it a 1:4 Magnification lens (able to fill the frame with a subject 4 times the size of the film or sensor is being used with).

It's not my favorite lens for closeups using Autofocus due to a further than average closest focus distance.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:25 PM   #3

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/onelens/af35-70f4

The 35-70mm f/4 Macro has a minimum focus distance of 1 meter (39.37 in.), or 30.3 cm (~1 ft.) with the Macro switch in the Macro position.

The colors look great, and the images look sharp, though there is some chromatic aberration visible around the yellowin the macro shot.

I'm sorry to hear that the zoom isn't smooth. Is it consistantly not smooth in the same places, or does it just flop around sometimes?

Edit: Sorry. I was interrupted in the middle of composing this post. If I had seen JimC's post, I'd not have duplicated what he had already said.

And what the heck is that?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:37 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
The colors look great, and the images look sharp, though there is some chromatic aberration visible around the yellowin the macro shot.

I'm sorry to hear that the zoom isn't smooth. Is it consistantly not smooth in the same places, or does it just flop around sometimes?

And what the heck is that?

Hey thanks for the response.

The rough zoom isin the same spot, its when i zoom all the way to the left.

LOL it took me a sec to figure out what you were asking about when you said "what the heck is that". Its one of the baby's toys. Haha great for taking pics so you can check color sat.

Also here's another pic, do you see any chromatic aberration in this shot? I think the previous one was caused by my focusing. It will take some getting used to to manual focus.

ETA: The one i posted before was much closer so heres a closer one

Thanks again.

Thank you also JimC. Its good to know that its normal and not just the one i got.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:04 PM   #5

Debbie26 wrote:
Quote:
Also here's another pic, do you see any chromatic aberration in this shot?
Maybe a very little bit, again around the yellow.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:31 PM   #6

Thank you TCav, i guess i cant expect perfectionfrom a $55 1980...what? lens.

Thank you so much for all your help.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:01 AM   #7

1985, actually.

And your shots are very good. The CA only shows up in high contrast regions of the image, and I noticed them because I was looking for flaws, and I only mentioned them because you asked. I look forward to other posts you might choose to share with us.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:11 AM   #8

You say that you have to get used to the manual focus.
there is a "hack" for the lens, that gives you AF on the macro allso.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/durango99/426237448/

I have just done this on my 35-105 Minolta lens and it works perfectly.
Offcourse you can still set it to manual if you cannot make the AF focus.
Tiger73 is offline   Reply With Quote