Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:46 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to this forum, I have noticed several people write about the Lazy-Eye issue on the A100.

I recently just borrowed the HVL-56am from a friend to shoot a wedding tomorrow. The problem is that I noticed the lazy-eye, I always knew it was on the standard flash, but I was hoping that this would sort of skirt that.

After reading the forums, it seems as if it is a lost cause. Every time I try to take a photo, the flash catches eyelids.

I do not feel comfortable using it at a wedding...Especially for group shots where I am bound to get people with their eyes shut.

What would you recommend be the best thing to do? Should I just skip the flash all together? I am really nervous about this and would greatly appreciate any tips you can offer on avoiding this tragedy.

tekhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums. Sorry, I missed this thread (I don't read everything).

This was a common complaint with KM and Sony dSLR owners for a long time. I've seen the same complaints from Canon and Nikon owners, too (although newer models are better).

Apparently, Sony improved this issue in newer models (A200, etc.), with different timing between the preflash(es) and main flash, since I've seen users report that the issue no longer occurs with subjects that always blinked with the A100 and older models (and only a small percentage of the people usually blink with a preflash).

Some users go with a Metz 54MZ-4 series model instead to get around it, using the Metz "Auto" mode (which eliminates the need for a preflash). That way, the sensor built into the flash can measure reflected light during the flash exposure, terminating the flash output when it sees enough light for the camera settings used. So, no preflash is needed. If you go that route, you'll want to make sure you get one with a newer SCA3302 Foot (I think it's up to firmware version M7 or newer now, but the foot can be upgraded to a newer firmware version by Bogen in the U.S.). This flash is normally bundled with the correct foot from major photo retailers. Here's an example of one that includes the SCA3302 foot:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...hoe_Mount.html

You could also use an older Auto Thyristor type flash to eliminate the need for a preflash. That would require you to use manual exposure on the camera, setting the camera and flash to match for ISO speed and aperture. A Sunpak 383 Super is a popular choice for this purpose. Just make sure the flash you use has a lower trigger voltage. You'll also need a hotshoe adapter to give your camera an ISO standard shoe if you go that route. Here's the one I'd suggest:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:04 PM   #3

What is lazy-eye? I am a newbie, i have this flash with my A350. I really apperciated if someone can tell me what lazy-eye iss. Thank you.....
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 6:19 AM   #4
Administrator

The term is not an accurate one. But, it's sometimes used to describe when photos end up with subjects that have partially closed eyes (and sometimes you get fully closed eyes).

dSLR models use a preflash to judge the length of the main flash burst needed. This is not a redeye reduction preflash. It's a metering preflash that occurs approx. 100ms before the main flash. Based on how much reflected light the camera's metering sensor sees from this metering preflash, it determines the length of the main flash burst needed.

Some people don't even notice it (since it's very close to the main flash burst). But, some people will always blink with a preflash, causing this issue. Apparently, the timing between the preflash and the main flash changed some between the A100 and older models and the A200 and newer models. So, I haven't noticed this complaint from newer camera owners.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5

JimC.

thank you for the reply. now i have a better understanding.
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote