Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 19, 2008, 2:41 PM   #11
Administrator

But, again, I probably wouldn't spend much money on anything, until you have a better understanding of where your equipment and skill level are the limiting factors.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:57 PM   #12

I just got a Sony A300 and a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 from Fleebay using the Microsoft Live Search cash back, saved $280 total (in sixty days... lol). I am loving the Sigma lens so far, build quality feels amazing, zoom ring is a bit tight but it is a new lens and not too noisy. Autofocus has been pretty good so far , took some outdoor pics of a group of deer but I have not uploadedthem yet.The lens is pretty heavy, definately makes the camera front heavy. This is my first adventure into DSLR's so I don't have much to compare to, I did not even take the Sony kit lens out of its plastic.

I also got a Minolta Beercan 70-210 off Fleebay using MS Live Search cash back and a 10% off coupon ebay was offering this month. After it is all said and done it willcost me$165. I have only installed the lens and took a few indoor shots to make sure it works. The lens is in amazing shape, no blemishes/scraches/dust/mold, the zoom ring seems a tiny bit too easy but hey it is a 20yr old lens. I was originally going to buy either the Sigma or Tamron 70-200 F2.8 but that will cost over $600, the Beercan was a no brainer for me. It is big and heavy though, but I can't wait to bring it outdoors and see what she's got.

I was going to go with the Tamron 17-50 that many on here rave about, but I really wanted a bit longer zoom, so far I am very happy with it.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:03 PM   #13

Raistlin_01,

Congratulations! It sounds like you got a good deal. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots. The Sigma 17-70 is a lot better than the kit lens, and the Beercan is amazing. Good luck.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:23 PM   #14

Thanks Tcav, I am also doing a one day beginner DSLR workshop in New York City that I found online. I have emailed back a forth a few times with the lady and it sounds like it is going to be extremely fun and it is extremely reasonably priced.

I wanted to do something like this to get a hands on lesson for the manual settings, so I am very excited. And with the two lenses I have I am definately stoked for a fun day in NYC. Funny thing is I word in Mid-Town and I am there five days a week in a suit. But not that day, will be treking around with my camera backpack and tripod (for night lessons/shots in Times Square) learning the basics and getting some crazy shots!!!

How lose is the zoom ring on your Beercan? I can't say that mine is extremely lose, but compared to the new Sigma it is.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:12 PM   #15

Actually, the zoom ring on my Beercan is fairly loose, as is the manual focus ring, but neither have ever given me any trouble as a result.

I'd leave the Beercan home. I think it'll be too long for Manhattan, and too short for Battery Park. And I'd get a locker at the Port Authority for the tripod. That way, you won't have to carry it around all day, and you can get it when you need it.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:02 AM   #16

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Actually, the zoom ring on my Beercan is fairly loose, as is the manual focus ring, but neither have ever given me any trouble as a result.

I'd leave the Beercan home. I think it'll be too long for Manhattan, and too short for Battery Park. And I'd get a locker at the Port Authority for the tripod. That way, you won't have to carry it around all day, and you can get it when you need it.
Thanks TCav, good to hear that the zoom rings is probably like yours. I work right by Rock-Plaza so I could just drop my tripod off at my desk. We will be shooting close to my office. I don't have any other zoom, you really think the Beercan is no good? Central park shots maybe? I have a backpack with plenty of room so I mide as well bring it, just in case...
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:11 AM   #17

Raistlin_01 wrote:
Quote:
I don't have any other zoom, you really think the Beercan is no good? Central park shots maybe? I have a backpack with plenty of room so I mide as well bring it, just in case...
I didn't mean to say that the Beercan is no good; I just meant that its focal length is inappropriate. But for Central Park, maybe. If you were going to Prospect Park, then definately take the Beercan. (People in Manhattan don't like to admit it, but Olmsted and Vaux practiced on Central Park before they designed Prospect Park.)
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:49 AM   #18

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I didn't mean to say that the Beercan is no good; I just meant that its focal length is inappropriate. But for Central Park, maybe. If you were going to Prospect Park, then definately take the Beercan. (People in Manhattan don't like to admit it, but Olmsted and Vaux practiced on Central Park before they designed Prospect Park.)
I understood what you meant, I know you were not saying the Beercan is no good.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:20 PM   #19

I Just got my BEERCAN Minolta 70-210 and it great. i will test it out this weekend. i paid $184 for it. Can't wait to use it.
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:46 PM   #20

Congratulations! The Beercan isa great lens, and $184 isa good price.