Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:20 PM   #1

Hi All,

I just want to know if using SONY Lens is better that using Sigma or other lens for the A350. Currently, i'm using a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3. Thank you for your help.
phamj57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:40 PM   #2
Administrator

You really have to take each lens on a case by case basis. Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Canon, Nikon, etc., all make very good lenses, and not so good lenses. ;-)

Sigma does make some very good lenses. But, your Sigma 18-200mm falls into the "not so good" category .

What limitations are you finding with it? Lenses with a huge zoom range from wide to long like that are usually going to have lower quality compared to using lenses with a less ambitious zoom range (i.e., more than one lens to cover the same range). So, your type of lens tends to involve some compromises that can result in higher than average distortion, edge softness, chromatic aberrations, etc. It's a compromise type solution (convenience is often the reason users buy that type of lens). IOW, it's a tradeoff (many users may want to compromise in the optical quality area, so that they don't need more than one lens to cover the same range). There are pros and cons to that type of lens solution.

The best similar lens right now would be the Tamron (or Sony) 18-250mm (much better quality compared to the Sony or Tamron 18-200mm). But, although better than the Sigma 18-200mm (and better than the Sony and Tamron 18-200mm lenses), the Sony and Tamron 18-250mm lenses are still going to involve some optical compromises compared to using more than one lens for the same zoom range.

This type of lens is not very bright either. I'd let members know what issues you're having with your Sigma, and in what areas you want to improve in order to get better recommendations (and I'd give members an idea of budget, since there are a lot of lenses available now at a variety of price points).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:07 PM   #3

JimC,

Thank you for you reply. I don't have any issue right now, but just want to get a lens that will produce good quality pictures. Occassionally i take wedding pictures with my friends and thinking about going into that busines myself. I guess i don't really have a budget to purchase a lens if it will give me great quality pictures.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:44 AM   #4

For weddings, I think it's unlikely that you'd need to go out to 200mm, or anywhere close to it. And the optical distortion at the wide end, and the chromatic aberration at the long end, makes a superzoom lens a bad choice for commercial applications.

I think something as wide but not as long would be a good choice. I have a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 that I'm pleased with, and Sigma has a 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 that has been well received.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:51 AM   #5

I'll choose 3 type of lens :
*. wide angle
*. lens kit (18-70) => sony DT series is enough
*. medium tele (70-210 or 70-300) -> minolta beercan
loud2000id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 3:37 PM   #6

Currently i have the following lens:

SONY DT 18-70f/3.5-5.6

Minolta AF 28-80 Macro

Tamron AF 55-200f/4-5.6 DiII

Sigma 100-300

I'm thinking of buying Minolta 70-210mm f4 f/4 70-210 Beercan EXC for $275. Is that a gooddeal or not. Also, DT 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 High Magnification Zoom Lens. What the best for my money. I would like to use just one lens for taking wedding pictures. I need it to be use indoor and outdoor.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 8:50 AM   #7
Administrator

That price sounds OK for the beercan, given current prices (they've gone up a lot over the past few years). http://www.keh.com has some now at various pricepoints. So, I'd check there first (since they're going to fairly grade them and offer a warranty on used gear), and I'd get one with both hood and caps included.

But, I don't think that's a real good choice for your purposes. f/4 is a bit dim for use indoors without flash in low light church interiors (even if you were shooting from a position where you had room to use one), so you may end up with blurry photos if you can't use a flash during the ceremony; and it's too long for wider photos from closer vantage points.

The super zoom type lenses like the 18-250mm are also not very good choices (they're dim, plus their quality isn't as good as you may want it to be).

It doesn't sound like you have a very good idea of the difficulty of shooting something like a wedding. You can't expect to buy a camera kit and become a pro photographer, unless you want a lot of unhappy clients because your photos are too blurry due to shutter speeds that are too slow, soft due to lenses with lower optical quality, you missed the focus and depth of field was too shallow, etc., etc. Frankly, I'd suggest finding a pro photographer in your area and volunteer to shoot as a second shooter for a while, so that you have a better idea of both your equipment limitations, as well as limitations with your skill level, before spending more money on equipment.

Then, *after* you learn more about photography and have a better understanding of where your equipment is the limiting factor, find lenses more suitable (and I'd lean towards brighter, pro grade lenses, since you may not always be able to use a flash during the ceremony). I'd also have some bright primes available for that purpose (sometimes, even an f/2.8 zoom may not be bright enough for good results). You'll also need backup equipment, and the skill to use all of it in challenging conditions.

Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:03 AM   #8

Yeah. What JimC said.

And aside from being dim, the 18-250 has significant optical distortion, which will look weird for indoor shots (the ceiling will curve.)

If you want a simple kit to do weddings, I think the Zeiss 16-80 and a good flash are your best option.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 12:00 PM   #9

TCav,

Thanks for the advise, i will look into the 16-80. Currently i have a SONY HVL-F42AM Flash.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665337928
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:37 PM   #10
Administrator

I'd buy some brighter primes, too. Pick up a 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.7 AF lens if nothing else. That Carl Zeiss lens isn't really bright enough for dim interiors without a flash for non-stationary subjects, if you can't use a flash. I'd probably lean towards a 24-70mm f/2.8. But, you need to make sure you've got something wider than that and brighter than that if needed, too. If you can't do both, get some primes to go along with the Carl Zeiss for starters and work from there.