Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 18, 2008, 1:43 AM   #1

OK, been reading what I can and this minolta 'beercan' 70-210 lens seems to be something I may like, but......

when I go to e-bay or where-ever there is

Minolta 70-210 f/4
Minolta Maxxum 70-210 f/3.5 - 4.5 (also in Sigma)
Minolta 70-210 f/4.5 - 5.6

one made by vivitar? (is that another name for minolta?)

and what is? Minolta zoom lens 70-210 1.1m/3.6m af zoom MACRO Lens
or? Vivitar Series 1 70-210/2.8-4.0

I can get FOCAL 70 -210 F4.0 - 5.6 AUTO FOCUS FOR MINOLTA MAXXUMfor $50

Do I need to worry about MD vs AF with using a sony a300 or a350?

I know " what a noob "

Thanks,
Maggie

Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:15 AM   #2

There are lots of different lenses, but the 'BEERCAN' is a Minolta Maxxum 70-210mm f/4.0. All others you've mentioned are inferior. And the MD and MC lenses won't fit on a Sony dSLR; they are older, manual focus lenses that won't physically connect.

The 'BEERCAN'has the following engraved around the lens:

MAXXUM AF ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4(32)

If it says anything else, it's not a 'BEERCAN'.

"Maxxum" is the trademark for Minolta's autofocus lenses. Any lens that has it will work on Sony dSLRs.

See http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=48
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:50 PM   #3

[glow=darkred]Thanks soooo much!!![/glow]
I was getting confused lol. So I haven'tbought thebody yet, but I did getboth theMinolta 50 and70-210, with those came a Minolta 35-70. So if I get the 18-70 kit lens with the Alpha I should be set for a while.

I'llkeep my eyes open :shock:for a good deal on a Tamron 17-50 for the brighter lens. But no hurry there.

Soooo, next questions is lens attachments.I see lots of filters out there and wonder if I will find them useful; and there seems to be a couple lens shields out there - some rubber/some plastic.A wide variety and range ofstuff (I'll do some more reading on that stuff too, but the advice here is fabulous).

(I'm oneof those people that keep looking and go 'oh thats nice' 'oh, thats nice too''oh, look at that one')

I even bought one of those disks from Elite Video. I'll let you all know what I think about it.

Thanks again,
Maggie

Mahgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:52 AM   #4

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
I'llkeep my eyes open :shock:for a good deal on a Tamron 17-50 for the brighter lens. But no hurry there.
I bought my Tamron 17-50/2.8 last August for about $450. I have since seen the price for new ones down to about $420. The least expensive one I saw was used, on eBay, for $300.

Mahgie wrote:
Quote:
Soooo, next questions is lens attachments.I see lots of filters out there and wonder if I will find them useful; and there seems to be a couple lens shields out there - some rubber/some plastic.A wide variety and range ofstuff (I'll do some more reading on that stuff too, but the advice here is fabulous).
The Beercan has a removeable lens hood (shield). If you don't have one, you should find one. I've never not used it, but I've heard that the Beercan can produce considerable flare without it. KEH.com has one for $25; a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

The 50has onebuilt-in.

Filters are another story, and should really be part of a seperate topic, possibly in the General Q&Aforum, as it is a general topic, not specifically related to Sony/Minolta dSLRs.

There are those that use UV (haze, skylight, etc.) and clear filters for lens protection. The logic is that it's easier and cheaper to replace a damaged filter than a damaged objective lens. There are others that don't use filters because adding optical elements decreases sharpness and can increase distortion and vignetting.

I beleive that good filters will have less of a negative impact on image quality, so I use good UV filters on my lenses,and a thin UV filter on my Tamron 17-50/2.8 toprevent vignetting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote