Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 11, 2008, 9:47 PM   #1

Is there an adaptor I can put between the lense and body where the lensmounts to make old Sony 35mm lenses attach to the A200 body.

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2008, 1:54 AM   #2

Dave, I may be wrong but I don't think Sony HAS any old 35mm lenses. If you are thinking the old Minolta MC Rokkor lenses, then that would be another story. I have never researched that, so I can't answer your question. Maybe someone else can. Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 1:59 AM   #3

Is this what you mean?
http://www.goshotcamera.com/product/..._7D_5D_KM.html

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:23 AM   #4
Administrator

All Minolta Autofocus lenses will mount without any adapter.

Just make sure they're Autofocus (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha) lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:23 AM   #5

I will let you all know what I find out this weekend. 3 People where I work have old Sony 35mm cameras and lenses for the old 35mm cameras. One guy told me they are Sony lenses. I will have a chance to try them out this Friday night and see if any will mount. From the e-mail I got (only the one guy told me the brand name and he claims Sony) their could be some nice glass/lenses in available to me for a small price.

dave
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:42 AM   #6
Administrator

AFAIK, Sony has never made a 35mm camera. Their dSLR models (A100, A200, A300, A350, A700, A900) all use a Minolta Autofocus lens mount.

Sony purchased Konica Minolta's camera related assets in order to get a head start on their dSLR lineup (as Sony didn't have any experience in this niche).

Now, it's possible that someone is using a new Sony lens on a Minolta 35mm Autofocus camera. Sony started rebranding some of the older Minolta lens designs after they purchased Konica Minolta's camera related assets. Sony has also released some new lenses since purchasing KM. They all use a Minolta AF lens mount (a.k.a., Minolta A, Dynax, Maxxum, Alpha mount).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:49 AM   #7

Sony never made any 35mm lenses until it bought the camera division of Konica Minolta. Minolta AF lenses will fit, as Sony kept the Minolta lens mount for it's line of dSLRs.

Minolta started making AF lenses in 1985. Manual focus Minolta lenses before that used a different mount that is incompatible with the newer autofocus mount. There are adapters to attach those old manual focus lenses to the new autofocus cameras, but they don't autofocus, and they don't support autoexposure either. And while there are a number of adapters available, some only work on the old Minolta autofocus cameras, all are also teleconverters, none properly support image stabilization, and most don't even support focus confirmation.

If you have a special manual focus lens, an adapter might be a good idea, but for 'run of the mill' lenses, you probably won't use it very often. I got a Minolta 2X M/A Converter-S so I could use my old manual focus 50/1.4, 35/2.8 and 135/2.8 lenses on my KM5D. I used it once for my old Minolta bellows, but now I've got extension tubes that support autofocus and autoexposure. It's an interesting toy, but not practical.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:37 PM   #8

Thanks for the info I will be interested to see what the two people at work brung me on Friday...... I will report back.

dave