Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:03 AM   #1

I removed the eyecup from the Sony A200 as instructed in the manual so I could attach the eyecup for a test. I went to put the eyecup piece back on and it will not stay in place and falls off. Onlythe very top will re-insert and the sides cause it to fall off. Also the eyepiece senosors no longer turn off the cameras LCD screen like they did before.

The camera is only three days old. Any ideas? I also noticed that fromt he start it was not really securely in place...... I don't want to have to return the camera and wait for them to tell me weather they will replace it etc.

Anyone had a similar issue.....

The camera still works otherwise.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:22 AM   #2
Administrator

It sounds like you may be doing something wrong. It's a pretty snug fitting eyecup.

You are removing the eye piece cover before putting the rubber eye cup back on, right?

The rubber eyecup just fits over the grooves on the outside of the viewfinder and slides down from the top of it. To remove it, you pull it straight up. If you tried to pull it straight back from the camera (trying to snap it off versus pulling it straight up within the grooves to remove it, you may have damaged it).

If so (you damaged it versus doing something wrong to reattach it), they're relatively inexpensive (~ $10 from Sony).

Eye Cup for A200

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:54 AM   #3
Administrator

Look at the plastic frame built into your eyecup and make sure you didn't break it. See the listing for one in my last post and you'll see a photo of one.

It's a pretty snug fitting eyecup and slides on and off from the top (not straight out, as that would break one). Make sure you didn't leave the plastic frame in place over the viewfinder, pulling the rubber from off it it, too. If you did, slide the remaining plastic eyecup frame up from over the groves on the viewfinder.

If you broke the rigid plastic frame on the eyecup (which insures it stays on snuggly), you can get another eyecup for $9.99 from Sony.

Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Administrator

Again, you did remove the viewfinder cover before trying to put the eye cup back on the viewfinder, right?

You can't have both on the camera at the same time (since they use the same grooves for attaching them).

The cover is designed for tripod shooting when you are *not* using the viewfinder, so that stray light doesn't enter the viewfinder (where your face/eye would have prevented that when you are using the viewfinder). Personally, I never use the eyepiece cover and leave the rubber eye cup on all the time.

Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:35 AM   #5

Well..... got my replacemrnt eyecup for the A200. It slid on perfectly. Looks like the old one was slightly too big and never really stayed in place properly from the start. Maybe it was a part for the A300, A700 etc. Not sure but the A200 is working out perfectly now.

Got a second lens with long focal length on order now as well.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote