Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:29 PM   #1

While shooting a concert in craw+jpeg, I noticed after downloading the photo's that I wasshooting withnoise reduction set to high, DRO set to advanced and I even forgot to turn super steady shot back on from an earlier shoot. All this while shooting at ISO 1600. Does the in camera settings only apply to jpeg?

IDC appears to let me turn off DRO and NR butI've read that some say NR is appliedto raw and others say it's not.

Are thereraw settingsthat cannot be changed from the in camera settings (except for SSS) in IDC version 3?

When I open a raw file in IDC,DRO and NR has a default setting of "auto" with the options of "off" or "manual".

I've upgraded the firmware in both camera (ver 4) and IDC (ver 3).

I'm guessing that with theV4 firmware all can be changed. But, I'm not positive.

I must say that I was impressed with the raw files I kept even with the auto DRO and NR. I can't believe I forgot to turn on SSS. Stupid me!!!

LM

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:16 AM   #2

Hi, I'm also an A-700 user. To my best knowledge, NR was actually applied to the RAW files as well, this spiked a discussion among users, and Sony fixed it supposedly in the V4 update (now, you shóuld be able to turn NR off in RAW).

As for the SSS, it's applied to the camera as a whole ( a small engine vibrates the sensor to counteract the vibrations of your hand) so I guess that works for both JPEG and RAW.

I'm also very pleased with the camera's results at high ISO, even without the V4 update !
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:31 AM   #3
Administrator

Sony applies Noise Reduction to both JPEG and RAW files with the A700, and you can't set them independently. IOW, if you don't want NR applied to your RAW files when shooting RAW+JPEG, you need to turn it off (which will disable NR for both file types). You'll need Version 4 firmware to disable it completely.

As for DRO, I'd turn it off when shooting at higher ISO speeds. Otherwise, you're going to see a lot more noise in the shadow areas. That's because it's "pushing" those areas to brighten them. So, the results are going to look like you were using an even higher ISO speed setting.

For example, if DRO pushed a darker area by 2 stops, the noise in those areas would appear more like you were shooting at ISO 6400 versus ISO 1600. It's best to leave noise hidden in the shadow areas and leave DRO off when using higher ISO speeds (versus letting camera push those areas making visible noise much higher). If you really need them brighter, expose the image brighter to begin with (i.e., use a slower shutter speed for a given aperture/iso speed), at the risk of overexposing the highlight areas (and this camera does have excellent Dynamic Range, so you can probably get away with a brighter exposure than you think). Otherwise, you'll just have a very noisy image by letting DRO brighten the image instead.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:32 PM   #4

tsjiaotai wrote:
Quote:
I'm also very pleased with the camera's results at high ISO, even without the V4 update !
Then you'll probably be esctatic after you install V4. It really improves everything!
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:50 AM   #5

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
I even forgot to turn super steady shot back on from an earlier shoot.
im curious, why did/would you have the SSS turned off? i always have it on but am curious what situation you would have it off? sorry if im hijacking your thread, just let me know and i'll start my own.
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote