Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:25 AM   #1

Not bad for 1600 and no NR. Slightly sharpened and converted to Jpeg from IDC, watermark added and resized in Elements 4. Thats it.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:34 AM   #2

Nice pic, what lens were you using? Silly question, but would the same ISO setting on the 700 and 300 be equal or is the 700 superior in all ISO ranges?

So you have high ISO NR and long exposure NRoff (if you even shot at a speed that needed the long exp NR). What about DRO, which setting for that?

I am still learning with my 300 how to do avail light photography, quite frustrating at first. My lens is not the ideal one but for now it is what I have (Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5).

Gonna try and search for a 50 1.7 minolta on ebay, I am just not sure how now having a zoom ability is going to do for me when I use it.
Raistlin_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:06 AM   #3

That is a nice shot, but reducing the image so it can be posted here will eliminate some of the detail and the noise.

Can you post a 100% crop from the original?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:11 AM   #4

Raistlin_01 wrote:
Quote:
Nice pic, what lens were you using?
That was shot at 1/160" at f/2.0 and ISO 1600 using a Sony A700 and a 50mm f/1.7 lens.

This and other info can be obtained from the EXIF data from any JPEG image using a web browser plugin called IExifby Opanda. Highly recommended!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:55 AM   #5

Thanks Raistlin_01.

To answer your questions;

That one was shot with a 50 f/1.7 lensat f2 with shutter speed of 1/160". I shot in the "A" setting to control the depth of field. The lighting was good luckly. I got better shots of the individuals using a 100 f/2. The 50mm lens was for wide shots.

The so called "silly" question is actually a good one. I'm not sure on the high ISO capabilities of the A300 as compared to the A700 but my guess is that they would be pretty close if not the same.

Checking the exif on Sonys Image Data Converter V. 3 (IDC) software I think Icaught myself in a lie, maybe?I had high ISO NR turned on in-camera (not intentionally) but turned off in IDC. It was even set to high in-camera. I'm not sure what happens there.

The DRO was off in-camera then left to the default auto in IDC. It didn't appear to cause excessive noise. DRO can bechanged in raw so it doesn't really matter if it is on or off in-camera. It does however effect the jpeg.

The great thing about shooting in raw is that if you make any mistakes in your camera settings ( and I do a lot) there a lot easier to correct after the fact. Just don't forget to turn on SSS. That cannot be corrected in raw.

I can also recommend getting a 50 f/1.7. It does things that only a few lenses can do with it's large aperture. And it cheap.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:23 AM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
That is a nice shot, but reducing the image so it can be posted here will eliminate some of the detail and the noise.

Can you post a 100% crop from the original?
100% crop
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:02 PM   #7

I see something. It could be noise, but it's probably highlights from dimly lit items in the background.