Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:07 PM   #1

i currently own a sony a-300 with sony lenses 18-55, 55-200 and 18-200 and a dual purpose tamron slr 28-300. imo, the lenses designed for the smaller sensors of digital cameras work better on digital cameras than film lenses.

that said, i am considering upgrading to the a-350 or getting a digital 18-250mm lens as an all around carry lens. i don't see a 28-300 digital lens for this camera. the advantages of either upgrade seem minimal to me so i thought i would ask you guys which you think would be more to my advantage.

tia

ellen fl
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:06 PM   #2

I don't think either choice would necessarily constitute an "Upgrade". The 18-250 is marginally better than the 18-200 that you already have, but your A300 is better than both of them.

Unless there's something you haven't mentioned, I thinkthe limiting factor, with regard to image quality, is your lenses. With the exception of the 55-200, the A300 is better than your lenses. The A350 wouldn't take better photos than your A300, because your lenses are the limiting factor.

If you want the convenience, increased range,and slightly improved image quality of the 18-250, then that's what you should do. But I think you wouldn't get your money's worth out of an A350.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 2:06 PM   #3

thanks, tcav, this is what i was looking for. as i (cross)posted in 'what camera should i buy', i am trying to improve the pic quality from the camera. i have noise issues. since it is the lens and not the camera, do you think a 28-300 for digital would be a better way to go? i may just have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks for a good lens.

do you have an opinion about sony vs tamron (or sigma)? so far, i am getting the impression that tamron lenses for sony are better than sigma but i don't know how good sony glass is. if price were not an issue, what one-size-fits-all lens would you suggest?

thanks for your input. sorry about the dual posts but i thought this forum was last posted to in september and i was afraid my question would be missed.

ellen fl
Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:22 PM   #4

You've got the 28-300. Do you think 300mm is long enough?

Sony makes some great lenses, as do most manufacturers, but they also make some clunkers, as do most manufacturers. If 300mm is long enough Sony makes the 75-300 which is bothinexpensive and overpriced. Sony also makes the 70-300 G which is the best lens of its kind from anybody. Sony also makes a 300mm f/2.8 that is superb, but if I had $6,000 lying around, I wouldn't spend it all on one lens. If 300mm isn't enough, Sony will be releasing an 80-400 that might work well for you.

I don't have a problem with the dual topics, but it is awkward to respond in one conversation differently that in the other. People who come in later are going to see one topic at a time, and conversations within each topic should stand on their own for the benefit of lurkers.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:51 PM   #5

actually, most of the time 200 is long enough . . . small pond. :-) anyway, thanks for helping me with lens ideas. i probably should save my money but i REALLY want a new gadget. :roll: at least i know not to bother getting the a350.

i may just go for the 70-300 g. at least i can use it at other wildlife places where the birds don't run to me when they see me coming.

ellen fl